Emdee five for life

I’m by no means a python expert (more like a noob to it), but it took me some 10 mins to get it done.

Just 2 libs (hashlib and requests).

Good fun optimizing the code for speed… good old days :slight_smile:

Feel free to PM me for a nudge.

Hi everyone ! I’ve got the flag with “request”, “hashlib” and “re”. But, in the first place, I tried with BeautifoulSoup instead of “re” and its not working.
I’d like to figure out why, can someone contact me in private ? :smile:

Has anyone successfully completed this with a bash script? It runs quickly but I must be missing something essential.

Type your comment> @taylnick said:

Has anyone successfully completed this with a bash script? It runs quickly but I must be missing something essential.

I guess curl is just slow compared to python. I thought it didn’t work because of the use of cookies but I didn’t test further.

Small hint. Use hexdigest()…

Type your comment> @taylnick said:

Just solved it using bash/curl :blush: Script runtime ~250ms
Was a bit of a pain in the a**, as I started on macOS and then ported the script to Kali, but some “macOS specialities” broke the script there in just too many ways :wink:
So, in the end I did a lot of debugging using Wireshark, to get it working. Big thanks for that tip anyway (was mentioned somewhere here before), I really can just recommend it.

Although I found the flag using Python, I am really interested in the solution in bash using curl, sed and md5sum. I just can’t seem to get it fast enough, or I made an error somewhere…

good early challenge for scripting.

I tried to get the answer using a bash terminal , but i cant seem to get it wo work.
curl (get) > grep > cut > md5sum > awk > curl (post)

The GET curl has the -c cookie jar, and the POST curl has the -b cookie flags

edit Just tried timing the bash script and it takes .44s so im assuming thats why im getting to slow :neutral:

I finally did it! Learnt a lot about Python and BeautifulSoup.

one extra space character cost me several hours in my bash script :frowning: but got there in the end :smile:

just completed using plain old javascript :stuck_out_tongue:

for php script , its slow, but good enough
real 0m0.588s
user 0m0.001s
sys 0m0.022s

Got the flag. Nice challenge, got to practice requests which I hadn’t done much of in python.

Spoiler Removed

When writing a python script, remember that the data goes as dictionary in the POST request, not as a string with “hash=value”

If you are doing it on the command line and are sure you are doing it correctly, just keep trying, because I was getting too slow, and then finally got it, so it must be right on the edge of whatever the timer is.

I wrote it in php, very simple but had to use a vps as my home connection was just too slow.

Question is, how to understand, problem in connection or with data that I send? I wrote 2 scripts: on Ruby and Crystal, both is fail. Maybe something wrong with my hash, but I get only Too Slow =(

Can I dm someone for a hint? I’m still ‘too slow’, but I think I’ve crossed off the following:

• Sending proper md5 digest
  • Keeping connection open
  • Biscuits