Official BountyHunter Discussion

Seems like all the open ports are dead… Is there something wrong with the box?

any hint?

Managed to enum all users on box, identified the target user and also a hint to an application running on the box.

No idea where to go next with this now - anyone got a hint?

Type your comment> @TheIntersect said:

Managed to enum all users on box, identified the target user and also a hint to an application running on the box.

No idea where to go next with this now - anyone got a hint?

I would suggest you see what other files are out there… Some have been hinted on that port

Rooted. Excellent beginner box. If you’re stuck, maybe research OWASP top 10

root@bountyhunter:~# id
uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root)

Rooted !!! Look good at the files on the host… you will find a hint on them then google it… For root, just analyze the script to create your own thing corresponding to all the checks…

# id;whoami;hostname
root
bountyhunter
smooth box and refreshing

Figuring out how to get my foothold took a WHILE! I screwed up on my exploit and it made it so things didn’t work like it should have.
User/foothold:
If you found the WASP, you’re on the right track. You should have found something worth reading during your regular enumeration of a website (it’s always nice to see what’s out there). You need to carefully direct the WASP to check out that interesting find from your enumeration… This should get you in the system as user
Root:
BASIC enumeration should lead you where you need to be. Hopefully you know how to handle snakes…

root this box… pretty easy machine and very ctf like i mean…
PM if need a nudge

A lot of fun!

Definitely more easy-medium than easy, but I liked it a lot since a machine that’s too point-and-shoot can feel a bit meaningless. The foothold was a good introduction to that particular type of vuln, and privesc was straightforward while still requiring a tiny bit of work to determine what was needed.

Don’t bother with hints beyond the aforementioned “OWASP Top-10” on this one, it’s fairly easy for a beginner - some googling will get you there :slight_smile:

Type your comment> @sharkmoos said:

I think you are a cheater. How did you rooted 12 challenges for like a minute?? ahahah busted RAIDFORUMS scriptkiddies lol

need some nudges and ideas, i got the list of all users and also db user & password, now i stucked. i cant find any sql neither ssh password.

Type your comment> @1z3n said:

Type your comment> @sharkmoos said:

I think you are a cheater. How did you rooted 12 challenges for like a minute?? ahahah busted RAIDFORUMS scriptkiddies lol

You can think whatever you want. idk what RAIDFORUMS is but sure lol. Probs wouldn’t be posting on the forums helping fellow players if I was cheating though.

No idea what your’re talking about with the challenges. Jealous people will be jealous I guess

Spoiler Removed

Spoiler Removed

Spoiler Removed

I am not really sure what is going on with this discussion. It is on the edge of being inappropriate for a discussion around a specific box.

In general, if you feel someone is cheating then reporting it to the HTB team is probably the best approach (I don’t know, maybe a Direct Message to one of the admins on here or on discord). I only really get involved around the forums and behaviour here.

It is probably not a sensible thing to accuse people in general threads, because it is going to be pretty difficult to prove.

While I don’t want people to think I’ve taken a side here, I don’t know where the accusation has come from. There isn’t anything strange on @sharkmoos profile that I can see.

I don’t see any examples of “12 challenges in a minute”, or anything that seems unusual.

I’d also be cautious around assuming the same username is the same person on different platforms. Although in this instance it does look strange that the sharkmoos account on Raidforums appears to have vanished. I’d still be very wary of using that as evidence they are the same person and that it means cheating has happened.

For example, how did you know that the account was posting in HTB discussions on Raidforums?

It’s a very dangerous path to head down. Raidforums has a lot more than the HTB board (and most people working in any CTI type role will use it a lot). If you think people checking out threads there are automatically cheating, then you can only find out they are cheating by cheating yourself.

tl;dr - keep the thread focused on the box or posts will be deleted in future.

1 Like

Spoiler Removed

Type your comment> @DemChuck said:

need some nudges and ideas, i got the list of all users and also db user & password, now i stucked. i cant find any sql neither ssh password.

If you have a password and a list of users, try using those to get into the system. There is more than port 80 to get in.

Type your comment> @obfucipher said:

Type your comment> @DemChuck said:

If you have a password and a list of users, try using those to get into the system. There is more than port 80 to get in.

thank you so much!