Official Spider Discussion

For all of you experiencing this issue, maybe try resetting the machine and also deleting your cookies? Might help out.

Type your comment> @elveskevtar said:

For all of you experiencing this issue, maybe try resetting the machine and also deleting your cookies? Might help out.

Machine has been reset multiple times, including stopping and walking away for hours starting a new instance, as well as both Kali VM and host machine being shut down in between. Cookies are deleted every time browser closes.

Still encountering HTTP 500 Internal Server Error, which did not occur the first two times working on Spider. So, assuming something broken on HackTheBox’s end.

Type your comment> @jps3 said:

Type your comment> @elveskevtar said:

Machine has been reset multiple times, including stopping and walking away for hours starting a new instance, as well as both Kali VM and host machine being shut down in between. Cookies are deleted every time browser closes.

Still encountering HTTP 500 Internal Server Error, which did not occur the first two times working on Spider. So, assuming something broken on HackTheBox’s end.

Yep I had to switch from release arena to VIP to get it to work. Even then eventually i had an issue but i reset the machine, I wasted hours thinking the internal 500 error was supposed to be there. Silly me.

any hints for foothold ?

I was convinced I had something wrong last night, but now I think I was on the right track and it randomly quit working. It’s true if I go to the ‘classic’ interface I can spawn a VIP instance but I’d rather not share such an unstable machine with anyone else, either.

Plenty of other boxes to work on. This feels a bit like one that’ll be retired quickly, perhaps? Happens sometimes. :frowning:

?kali)-[~/HTB/Spider/privesc]
└─# ssh root@spider.htb -i id_rsa 130 ⨯
Last login: Mon May 24 14:22:35 2021 from 10.10.14.2
root@spider:~# id && hostname
uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root)
spider
root@spider:~# ls
root.txt

I did got the foothold. It’s not even that hard (could maybe be medium even, though I haven’t tried the privesc just yet) just rtfm and google around. It’s a little frustrating that it didn’t work right but if you’re having issues just reset it a few times or wait I guess, lol.

I solved the 500 by going to Login :: Hack The Box :: Penetration Testing Labs, the old site, and starting an instance from the “all machines” page instead of using the app vhost and launching it in release arena.

As for getting the foothold and user: figure out what you can control, figure out what your limitations are, establish something that works. One thing leads to the next, so don’t go off in a totally different direction if you get stuck. This machine really points you where you need to go, which is nice; I’ve enjoyed this one a lot.

I think this box is what covid came from…

:slight_smile: lol thanks @infosecjack this mother was a monster but you hit my itch and I hardly slept since release. :smiley: mmmm that got root bed time vibez!

if they had to throw 500 internal server error all over, what is the benefit of box being inside release arena. if i solve this box, am gonna give it the lowest score for sure.

sometimes that 500 is a bad cookie or something.

No, there is definitely an issue with the box.

Deleting the cookie from your browser helped me resolve 500 errors. Resetting does not seem to help

maybe there was an issue on the backend sending the response object. it’s something totally unrelated to request cookie, and only manifesting in release arena. trust us guys we’re not crazy lol. maybe it was resolved by now or ephemeral, idk i already finished this box.

got root. Dm if need help with steps you did.

Rooted right now. Really a nice a machine!!
For 500 response errors, delete your cookies, if you have deleted them restart the machine.
User: don’t overthink it is all in front of you, be sure to look on all pages available. If you know how it is built you can control it. Don’t trust your eyes and trust what have you seen until now. Fight your limits, the backend technology provides you all the the bricks you need.
Root: it is not too different, think to what the server evaluate…

DM me if you need hints.

one of the best box i played recently, excellent to explore this kind of vulnerability.

Amazing box, really enjoyed playing with the payloads :slight_smile: