Official Knife Discussion

Type your comment> @Err0rBladE said:

Spoiler Removed

Spot on.
![Foalma321] (https://www.hackthebox.eu/badge/image/74636)

Easy but nice box:) Here are some hints :smile:

-Foothold : look at http headers, maybe a vulnerable service is present ?

-Privesc : the easiest part, just look at what this tool can do.

Rooted, the foothold was the hardest part, PM for help

Happy to see a box rated as ‘Easy’ actually living up to it’s grade.
Foothold was new to me, so glad to have that in my future toolbox. Thanks!

Unable to start machine!~ everytime showing an error occurred.

Need help with root part, i think i missed something, but need help

Got root this morning. I was way overthinking it. Depending on how far you are into this fun I suggest not overthinking it. Read the docs on what you learn you can do. Memory is still fresh and in hind sight I went down rabbit holes that didn’t need going down. If you need a nudge PM.

Anybody have issues using s**? I chmod’d the file as per usual but no luck.

I tried the s** route as well and gave up pretty quickly. Found while it would be nice and stable didn’t need it.

Wow, that was easier than I anticipated. User took me 30mins but root was a little trickier. Overall

1. Foothold → enumerate machine and all services running – google it!
  2. User → with foothold You have everything You need.
  3. Root → try basic privesc to find something “edgy”

Thanks’ for the box MrKN16H
Feel free to PM me for nudges!

Rooted nice little box.

Foothold/User: check everything don’t leave any stone unturned. Eventually you’ll find the crack in the system
Root: basic enumeration

Thanks for the box!

Type your comment> @decrypto said:

I tried the s** route as well and gave up pretty quickly. Found while it would be nice and stable didn’t need it.

Yeah now I’m reading up on the food making process, I’ve narrowed it down, I think I’m close.

Finally gain root access !!!
All the hints are already given in this forum… But if you are stuck, feel free to PM me, I will help you with pleasure without spoiling…

Rooted!

root@knife # ```

Overall a very _very_ beginner friendly box - which I think is why the ratings are the way they are. Could the foothold have been more difficult? For sure.

## User
I got a little lost in bad habits from prior boxes. Once I reached a dead end I had to go back to the drawing board after which finding the vulnerable piece of the puzzle and your key is not hard at all.

####number one tip is to make sure to consider *all layers* of the attack surface.

## Root
Your nose should pick up a scent after some very very basic enumeration within your user shell. Either manual or automated testing will lead you to something that can be used to your advantage,

Google + documentation reading is your friend here. Think of what will benefit you the most and figure out how to (ab)use it. **Hint: a full TTY is handy here**.

Feel free to P.M. for nudges! GL :)  

Hi all .
I am a noob and this is my first box.

I did nmap and nikto scans, but i am unable to move forward anywhere. Any hint would be helpful.

This is really an easy machine, rooted in around 30 minutes. PM me if anyone need a nudge.

Hi,

is it normal that all ports appear to be filtered on this one? I tried all my firewall bypassing techniques, tried different scanners, still no luck. Quick feedback would be nice! :slight_smile: EDIT: I’m unable to ping the target, but this could simply mean it does not respond to icmp requests, hence firewall.
EDIT2: nevermind, did not notice that I had to change VPN servers to release arena^^

The foothold was so simple that it made me self doubt my skills

Rooted, thanks @XMallory and @c4r50nz for some nudges…foothold is a bit hard but root is straight foward just read the manual and a bit of googling to create the payload

Nice enjoyable box. it should just be all enumeration and reading documentation.

I hacked something that worked enough for me to get root, but I’m sure there’s a more elegant way, but my way worked enough