Official Knife Discussion

Rooted. User took forever. It was hard to find the way even with lots of googling. Root was very easy.

User part of this machine was a bit sketchy in my opinion, and the whole machine would have been far better suited for the “Challenges” category. Hard to be on the lookout for something that was never really quite there in the first place.

Root part was incredibly simple, but gave me a chance to write my own revshell script for that specific platform that is way more stable than what I pulled from the web before.

I need foothold for user, anyone? Fuzzing a lot, searched for public CVE and nothing yet

Rooted. That was kinda fun.
Entry point - there’s not much to find. So sparse you probably missed it. Check again. Google stuff.

First box after more than a year off. Good entrypoint i guess. :smile:
However i guess i would have given up on user without the post of @adminseeker

User: nikto/google
Root: pretty basic

Feel free to ask for nudges if you are stuck

Rooted. Wappalyzer missed a very important detail that nikto didn’t…Note to self to just check these things manually I guess.

Is it cheating when I only read the root flag as user?

@WebFan said:
Is it cheating when I only read the root flag as user?
I’m not sure if there are any official guidelines for this, but I think that’s normally fair game. In some machines it’s trickier to get proper root access than to just read the flag, but in this one I’d say it’s straight forward. Maybe try a different…“option” for privesc?

Need any help ? Dm plzzz :stuck_out_tongue: rooted

└─# nc -nvlp 4242
listening on [any] 4242 …
connect to [10.10.14.175] from (UNKNOWN) [10.129.135.165] 38356
id && hostname
uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root)
knife

Foothold was a pain in the ■■■ to find the correct article. The rest was a piece of cake.

Rooted!
Thank you @FunkyMcBeef for remember @adminseeker comments…

was not a great box, but it’s done. The first steps aren’t obvious, and it’s quite strange that informations are so hard to find… Root step is a classic one. Feel free to ask hints if needed : I’ll try to be “spoilfree”

Rooted: Didn’t find this too enjoyable. Enough clues here already to complete.
User: Google-fu once you find the service version you need to know , as results are few.The chinese clue is all you need.
ROOT: Very easy the box name is big clue.
![Foalma321] (https://www.hackthebox.eu/badge/image/74636)

I am a complete noob to this so I found root very hard (basically i’ve done maybe 3 boxes before this one, I have no idea what I am doing). I now have a bit of a process I will go through when I first get on a box, because I assume root was very easy for anyone with half a brain cell (unlike me).

Was lucky I heard about this exploit for user and got it pretty quick. God love anyone who’s unaware of the way in because it’s hard to find on google without knowing the terms to search for.

Thanks to all for nudges!

Quite interesting learned one new thing. Got user without shell

Finally! If anyone needs a nudge, send me a message :slight_smile:

Type your comment> @azzafazza said:

I am a complete noob to this so I found root very hard (basically i’ve done maybe 3 boxes before this one, I have no idea what I am doing). I now have a bit of a process I will go through when I first get on a box, because I assume root was very easy for anyone with half a brain cell (unlike me).

Don’t beat yourself over it lol, it all comes with experience. This was actually a pretty good machine for beginners cause it covers the basics for Linux privilege escalation, but it’s only easy if you’ve done something similar to it before.

Managed to get user after modifying my google search per some suggestions. Funny how it was staring me in the face and needed some prodding. Root on the other hand is escaping me atm. I’m pretty new to this and know the command I need to run but after reading of the docs for it I am having trouble getting root. If anyone can DM me a nudge it would be greatly appreciated. I know it also staring me in the face but I don’t see it.

Any help for Foothold? Been trying for a couple of hours to no avail.

Thank you for the box MrKN16H.
Foothold/User: I hate to repeat what everyone else has said here but it really is as simple as identifying the abnormal version of something and doing a bunch of research. Once you find the door some nice people made it really easy for you. And yes I believe them to be Chinese.
Root: Read the large help file. Once you see the command you can use, make sure you keep in mind the language it is written in.
PM me fore nudges if you’d like.