Official Knife Discussion

Got user foothold. Indeed, enumerate specific version of specific service, then google. Also, as mentioned by @adminseeker , some chinese dudes might help :slight_smile: Now going to root the s.it out of it…

Foothold was definitely frustrating, but root is pretty quick and straightforward. Foothold is pretty hard to nudge on without giving it away. The folks in here have already given some good hints.

i both love and hate this lol. easy for a relaxing saturday afternoon just user your google-fu :stuck_out_tongue:

rooted. feel free to message me for hints

The challenge of getting user felt contrived (the hints were very helpful, thanks). But getting root actually forced me (a noob) to learn a couple things, which was nice.

Finally rooted :stuck_out_tongue: took longer than I would have liked for gaining user. Thanks for all the nudges on this one y’all. PM me if you would like a nudge.

Also while I was trying to get a foothold (to user), a certain popular scanning tool told me there was a vulnerability with a CVSS of 10.0. It turned out to be a false positive, which kind of undermined my trust in that tool.

I had the right path pretty fast, but finding the information on the vulnerability took much longer than I wanted, lol. I think the hints on here are pretty solid already. If you need some hints, send a message.

Wow user took me a long time to get on this machine. Thanks to @PartyGolbez and @elveskevtar for the tips on priv esc. I was on the right track but needed a lil nudge. :slight_smile:

any nudges for foothold? i scan everything but i got no hint :/…there is a tool i used for scanning and it list all possible vuln for j*****…did i go to the right direction?

Type your comment> @Aether32 said:

any nudges for foothold? i scan everything but i got no hint :/…there is a tool i used for scanning and it list all possible vuln for j*****…did i go to the right direction?

@Ob1lan and @adminseeker 's posts really helped me. I’m not familiar with the direction you’re going, but hesitate to say it’s “wrong” in case there’s multiple paths.

Type your comment> @lebutter said:

Why doesn’t Nikto flag this right away ?!?

Thanks, nikto reveals something nmap doesn’t show. I will add nikto to my enumeration routine.

Anybody can help me? I was able to exploit the vuln, get LFI and read a SSH private file. But when I try to crack it doesn’t work.

The Nmap-script-engine led me to the wrong way and wasted me a lot of time.
maybe try the results of other recon tools before diving into the NSE result.

Type your comment> @c4r50nz said:

Type your comment> @lebutter said:

Why doesn’t Nikto flag this right away ?!?

Thanks, nikto reveals something nmap doesn’t show. I will add nikto to my enumeration routine.

Maybe you could also get the header with a simple ‘nc’ ? :slight_smile:

For the root, remember the name of the machine often gives a clue :wink:

Very nice foothold I was waiting for the box with that to be honest :smiley: and here it is as I desired!

It keeps telling me “Failed to spawn instance” although I was able to use it yesterday
Edit: Apparently only the EU Arena is struggling, works with US right now

Very Easy machine
Roooted…

Ping me for any help needed…

Rooted. At first I was a little frustrated for the initial part, but when you take a close look at it you’ll see that there is something wrong. The root part is very simple. :slight_smile: