@ruskii said:
Same boat here. These guessing games make the box harder

It’s probably the stupidest ■■■■ that I ignored somehow

Did you find something?

Nope i am struggling

Spoiler Removed

Spoiler Removed

Spoiler Removed

once you identify the version of a specific service, make sure to research a bit because it could take some time to find anything.

rooted. And rated it 1 Star. Really didn’t like it and didn’t learn anything on it.

Foothold: the box is highly rated as CVE. Just because there isn’t a wordpress or something else running doesn’t mean something below can’t be vulnerable
User: it’s granted
Root: the vector should be found via about the first command you should run as user. If you’re familiar with it, good for you. If not try it and look for something that sounds very promising at first glance already.

This is a box that makes you want to improve your googling skills. I had the right idea for user but struggled for quite some time until I found what I was looking for.

Root was very obvious but I still missed the simple command that could be used in the large amount of help text.

■■■■, finally rooted after 2 hours of googling. User flag got me stuck for a long time and google just won’t show me the stuff I wanted to see lol

Why doesn’t Nikto flag this right away ?!?

Rooted!

root@knife:/opt# id && hostname && ifconfig
uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root)
knife
ens160: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        inet 10.10.10.242  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 10.10.10.255
        inet6 dead:beef::250:56ff:feb9:befe  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x0<global>
        inet6 fe80::250:56ff:feb9:befe  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>
        ether 00:50:56:b9:be:fe  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
        RX packets 2722013  bytes 412311064 (412.3 MB)
        RX errors 0  dropped 66  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 2509092  bytes 1106488505 (1.1 GB)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

What fooled me was the ‘CVE’ rate matrix. This is not a traditionally CVE as we all know, however it is easy to find, just a bit of Googling :wink:

Stuck working on this for a few hours with no foothold. I see the p*p version but not sure if I’m going down a rabbithole. Any nudges :pensive: ?

Type your comment> @elveskevtar said:

Stuck working on this for a few hours with no foothold. I see the p*p version but not sure if I’m going down a rabbithole. Any nudges :pensive: ?

google google google thats the secret and sometimes even some chinese could help :wink:

Stuck on foothold, any nudges. Trying to Google the software without any luck…

Got user foothold. Indeed, enumerate specific version of specific service, then google. Also, as mentioned by @adminseeker , some chinese dudes might help :slight_smile: Now going to root the s.it out of it…

Foothold was definitely frustrating, but root is pretty quick and straightforward. Foothold is pretty hard to nudge on without giving it away. The folks in here have already given some good hints.

i both love and hate this lol. easy for a relaxing saturday afternoon just user your google-fu :stuck_out_tongue:

rooted. feel free to message me for hints

The challenge of getting user felt contrived (the hints were very helpful, thanks). But getting root actually forced me (a noob) to learn a couple things, which was nice.

Finally rooted :stuck_out_tongue: took longer than I would have liked for gaining user. Thanks for all the nudges on this one y’all. PM me if you would like a nudge.