Official Debugging Interface Discussion

Type your comment> @toroflux said:

@5L45H , try looking for some loose threads to pull on.

I have found the software to read the file, but think my zer/trig settings are incorrect as the data is still incomprehensible (lots of random ascii chars but nothing resembling a flag), and I’m seeing a lot of framing errors. I’ve poked at all the settings I have been able to find related to the as* se**** *****zer with no luck.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated

Were you able to figure it out? I’ve gotten to the same part, but I am starting to think it may be faster to just decode it by hand

@haicen I was able to find the flag with the help of @diogt 's tip above

Nice challenge.

As @diogt said you need to calculate/find one of the most relevant characteristics of an async serial communication signal, in order to read it properly.
Software includes a couple of tools to measure the stuff you need to measure.

Also @haicen I don’t think you need to decode anything by hand. Check the software again, there’s a “Terminal” icon that I think will make your life easier, once your signal is ready.

@hedylamarr1914 said:
Nice challenge.

As @diogt said you need to calculate/find one of the most relevant characteristics of an async serial communication signal, in order to read it properly.
Software includes a couple of tools to measure the stuff you need to measure.

Also @haicen I don’t think you need to decode anything by hand. Check the software again, there’s a “Terminal” icon that I think will make your life easier, once your signal is ready.

I did get it. i had made some errors when doing a calculation which is why i wasn’t getting the right data out

Solved but I have questions if someone can DM me - basically once you figure out how to open the data for viewing, my process involved switching through the different prs to ae the data then dumping them and using my cooking skills to do further processing on the outputs. Is there a way to determine which pr****l to use other than just trying them all? I tried looking for manuals that might hint as to which one to use but never came across anything.

Cheers.

@n0leptr said:
Solved but I have questions if someone can DM me - basically once you figure out how to open the data for viewing, my process involved switching through the different prs to ae the data then dumping them and using my cooking skills to do further processing on the outputs. Is there a way to determine which pr****l to use other than just trying them all? I tried looking for manuals that might hint as to which one to use but never came across anything.

Cheers.

Not sure what "pr*s" refers to, but you can use the challenge description to figure out what specific analyzer to use in the software to parse the data. From there you need to understand how to calculate the important variable (b re) - easy to google the methodology but the resulting value doesn’t come up among the main standard values.

hey guys mind sharing which software you all used to read the file ? most of them seems to need some kind of purchase

@jlpung said:

hey guys mind sharing which software you all used to read the file ? most of them seems to need some kind of purchase

There is a demo version of the software that has enough functionality to do everything we need. A hex editor might be useful in pointing you towards finding the name.

@Exci said:

@0xv1n said:

Cheers.

Not sure what "pr*s" refers to, but you can use the challenge description to figure out what specific analyzer to use in the software to parse the data. From there you need to understand how to calculate the important variable (b re) - easy to google the methodology but the resulting value doesn’t come up among the main standard values.

Thanks, there’s actually a protocol that you can use that doesn’t require you to calculate anything, and instead it’s just an easy decode using the typical encodings we find in challenges.

I’m going to look into what you said though because it seems more along the lines of what was intended for the solution.

Type your comment> @n0leptr said:

Thanks, there’s actually a protocol that you can use that doesn’t require you to calculate anything, and instead it’s just an easy decode using the typical encodings we find in challenges.

I stumbled across that as well, but it seems to give a flag, that won’t be recognized by the upload. It seems very “1337” but gives back incorrect flag. Any ideas on that?

Hi, if the password to extract .zip file must be cracked or is some rule to extract .zip files from htb (maybe password is wiritten somwhere and I didn’t notice it? ). I’m new here and I don’t know HTB rules at all.

OK, nevermind, I found it xd

Hi, I have opened the files and found the analyzer to use but cannot figure out how to calculate the relevant variable or how to find it. Any hint wound be helpful. I’ve been stack at this point for long enough. You can DM,

Type your comment> @diogt said:

Hey as the other guys mentioned a specific software is used to read this type of file (.sal). As for the analysis of the signal you just have to think simple! What’s the variable that is most likely to be unknown and how you can find/calculate it!? @5L45H @toroflux .

Thanks for the TIP!!
A fun and easy challenge. Congrats to creator.

This challenge was funny, it take time for search for the good software and learn how to works communication async signal.
There is no calcul, just use the correct tool in the software.

Lol nice challenge.

This was a really good challenge if you need help pm me.

Well, I’m fairly certain I’ve gotten the software to decode the message. Watched a few YouTube Tutorials for it but still cant produce any form of readable text from the captured data. Anyone feel like educating me? Hardware is definitely not my thing, but I thought Id try this challenge out.

I got 2 files and stuck. Please tell me which direction to go next?

Has anyone got time to walk me through this? I’m new to hardware but really eager to learn

Is the software we’re supposed to use compatible with any OS or does it come with specific OS i.e Windows, Linux, Mac, etc?