Official Armageddon Discussion

Foothold and user were ‘business as usual’

Root was definitely something new and interesting, which needed some research, but it was definitely worth it. My hint is to not over-complicate your way from user to root. User has some special power, so use it! I had trouble forging the right tool in kali, so I had to do it on my ubuntu machine. The prepared tool is only useful the first time the user combines it with its special power, afterwards it’s just a useless hook.

I got a meterpreter shell but commands are not working,
example: meterpreter > pwd
unknown command : pwd

need help.

Type your comment> @ub007 said:

I got a meterpreter shell but commands are not working,
example: meterpreter > pwd
unknown command : pwd

need help.

Drop to a shell it should work

Type your comment> @OPiX said:

Stucked on the br********* user. Got the pass from m****l but it does not work. Maybe changed in D*****l ? Someone to help in private ?

Help me please. I have found a pd file with the user bn, but the file shw?? I don’t cat, edit, nothing.
How can find the ha
h file for the user b
*********n

Type your comment> @Z3er01 said:

Stucked on the br********* user. Got the pass from m****l but it does not work. Maybe changed in D*****l ? Someone to help in private ?

Help me please. I have found a pd file with the user bn, but the file shw?? I don’t cat, edit, nothing.
How can find the ha
h file for the user b
*********n

If you don’t find something useful on the Box follow the base principles. Just check what ports are open and what you already have and what’s missing to get your way in. You are a hacker :wink:

Type your comment> @Z3er01 said:

(Quote)
How can find the ha
h file for the user b
*********n

b************n uses the same password for different services. If you can’t get it from one place try it from another one.

Thanks @bertolis, a nice box. Starts of as an easy box, but root not so. The path to root is obvious from standard enumeration, but getting it to work was a steep learning curve. Really enjoyed it though.

Type your comment> @AbuQasem said:

(Quote)

How?> @AbuQasem said:

(Quote)

Nope, shell command is also not working.
meterpreter > shell
unknown command: shell

Is that machine a bit unstable? I can t run a single scripts that belongs to a******? even a linenum script. Get some meterpreter issues too

Type your comment> @zAbuQasem said:

(Quote)

How?> @zAbuQasem said:

(Quote)

Nope, shell command is also not working.
meterpreter > shell
unknown command: shell

Try Changing the pay**ad

HI there. I am unsure why people are saying sn**d is vulnerable. When I do a version check it says it is higher than the vulnerable one based on this exploit. Any help here would be appreciated.

Type your comment> @rpthomps said:

HI there. I am unsure why people are saying sn**d is vulnerable. When I do a version check it says it is higher than the vulnerable one based on this exploit. Any help here would be appreciated.

Analyze what is the vulnerability doing, how the software works and what is still exploitable in the box circumstances. :wink:

Thanks @algafix . :slight_smile:

If the exp**it didn’t work do it manually because you have the power

@rpthomps said:

I have the exactly same doubt. When I first google it, I immediately skipped the exploit because the version is obviously not vulnerable. After I stuck, everyone just told me that it is the right way to do it. And I just tried and got root.

@AbuQasem said:

@algafix said:

Analyze what is the vulnerability doing, how the software works and what is still exploitable in the box circumstances. :wink:

It’s not about whether the exploit works out of the box or manually. It’s all about why did you think this is the one you should try. The author clearly stated in his blog post and in the github repo’s readme:

If ***************************, you are safe.

And anyone who has checked the version number and is sane enough should have ignored this exploit. I don’t know whether you guys always do this:

You are doing an easy machine. You find an exploit for a version which is much older. The author says any version afterward is not vulnerable. After knowing these, you decide to dig directly into this exploit, read the source code, analyze how it works, and try manual exploit, instead of skipping to the next one.

If so, I would be pretty impressed.

There a certain elevation command that’s always first on my check list after gaining access to an account. When that returns something on a HTB Easy machine that’s the way forward.

It made it unambiguous which program/service/feature is the attack surface on this box.

Got root after few hours of pain… I need to make a habit to reset a VM before PE…

This was pretty cool, but I don’t exactly understand why the root exploit works the way it does…

Type your comment> @AbuQasem said:

Did you run it using python? or did you use curl?