Help me please with the Academy question

Just found out the answer somewhere. The question and the hint are not quite making sense to me. I think it is better to rephrase the wordings…

Solved it, there a command in gdb that shows you the information needed to calculate the size of the stack

Type your comment> @arydob said:

Solved it, there a command in gdb that shows you the information needed to calculate the size of the stack

I’m stuck in that question. Could I send you a pm?

Type your comment> @carliquiss said:

I’m stuck in that question. Could I send you a pm?

yes

I’m stuck too in that question. Could I send you a pm?

@arydob sent me this link linux - How to view starting and ending address of memory segments like stack, data, heap and code? - Unix & Linux Stack Exchange

In the first question: “Submit the size of the stack space after overwritting the EIP as the answer. (Format: 0x00000)” under “Generating shellcode section” the answer is actually the stack size, not sure why it says “after overwritting the EIP”

The same for the last question in "Skill Assessment " the answer is just the stack size

I have run into similar issue and tried above hints however still got stuck with it. Can I try PM to person who master this answer? Really appericiated.

Type your comment> @sonihmgmail said:

I have run into similar issue and tried above hints however still got stuck with it. Can I try PM to person who master this answer? Really appericiated.

Send me a DM and I will try to help

someone finished this? I need a hint

same here, I’m stuck in “Examine the registers and submit the address of EBP as the answer”.

UPDATE
they should change the question to “Repeat all steps from the tutorial, examine the registers and submit the address in EBP as the answer”

1 Like

Spoiler Removed

Ca someone help me how to get the root flag

@Gocka said:

Ca someone help me how to get the root flag

Do you mean the Academy box or one of the labs on the Academy?

Type your comment> @hackazzo said:

same here, I’m stuck in “Examine the registers and submit the address of EBP as the answer”.

UPDATE
they should change the question to “Repeat all steps from the tutorial, examine the registers and submit the address in EBP as the answer”

Thank you, Amigo.

1 Like

UPDATE

I did every step and the page says, that it’s incorrect. Any help?

UPDATE

After what step do you submit? Because by the end of the tutorial, your EBP is 0x55555555, if you swap ebp for eip in tutorial, your ebp is 0x66666666, but neither of those are the right answer.

Its kinda silly to ask questions like this cuz the answer may differ according to the input you give. But following the tutorial “on point” will give you the answer

the answer is written in plain text in the section examples

do not swap them :wink:

Thanks to everyone posting on this… I’m really enjoying this module including the “Take Control of EIP” lesson… but was stuck too until seeing everyone’s posts. The “Take Control of EIP” quiz “Examine the registers and submit the address of EBP as the answer” is asking the student to submit something other than the correct answer. It does not want the address of anything, but instead, as others have made clear, something else related to EBP.