Official Laboratory Discussion

Spoiler Removed

when I used the POC for G***** in rails, my kali tell a error sh: 1: Syntax error: Bad fd number
, someone can tell me why plz, PM me ,thx

Great box thanks @0xc4afe ! For those talking about resetting the box and updating the default user accounts, there is no need, you can power yourself up to find the secret sauce, just follow the chugga chugga, chugga chugga, choo choo.

I’ve read a few other write ups since owning and there is definitely an easy and hard way to get the foothold, which for sure takes it from an Easy to Medium box, I’d be interested to know which was “intended”.

PM me for hints

Hi, I’m stuck at G***** page, can anyone give me any hints to get foothold, user credentials ? >:(

Type your comment> @quangvo said:

Hi, I’m stuck at G***** page, can anyone give me any hints to get foothold, user credentials ? >:(

Just enumerate some more on the page. Look for what you can do on the G***** page… And if you have access, find that important number to enumerate more information about the G*****

Got stuck in the process, can anyone give me a nudge in the right direction?

1. Found the G***** page
  2. Started a reverse shell via g*****_***.py
  3. Got a user g++ (added the plus instead of *, cause it changed it to bold)
  4. Found out i’m in a c***r (probably dr)
  5. Looked for the manual online for G*****
  6. Found a user d***** with a command, the connection lost again
  7. Started a new reverse shell via g*****_***.py
  8. Tried to follow the instructions to G***** D++s Sy - H++ 2 r+++t **** pd (used the + symbol instead of * because of the markdown bold and italic options)
  9. Did not get any feedback after following the instruction from the official documentation as mentioned in step 8…

So I was thinking, my reverse shell is not correct, or I am doing something wrong with following the instruction from the official documentation. Or another way is there to break out the freaking thing

I got stuck here, can anyone help me to move forward ?

1. I got reverse shell with g** user
  2. Found out that I am in a dumb shell (I tried to upgrade it to an interactive shell but haven’t had any luck)
  3. g*****-**** console didn’t give anything back but Switch to inspect mode

So I was thinking because of the shell I got was a dumb shell so I cannot access to the console ??. And the reverse shell is highly unstable, every time I execute some specific command it always return 502 status code for me.

Is anyone else having constant 502 in the g***** page?

@kyichu said:

Is anyone else having constant 502 in the g***** page?

I think it is fairly common. It has been mentioned loads of times in this thread. The general tip is wait for a bit and if it feels “too” long, report it to HTB.

thanks for this box. This was really interesting and I was struggling in the first attempt with foothold to get user. After I started to review my notes after some days I was clear about the path to move forward :slight_smile: Afterwards I was kicking my ■■■ since I was already at 99% before I gave up :wink:

Enumeration is key on this box. Anything else is already there if you use latest Kali. No need to use additional tools, scripts, etc. at all (except one to maybe simplify/automate your enumeration ;-)).

Oof. That was a fun, definitely learnt a few things. Need to go back and understand how the foothold was actually gained though, as I just used something out-of-the-box from msf.

Foothold - As others have said - enumerate lots, check software versions for known vulns, google. I spent a long time staring at that main website because I forgot to do a certain type of enumeration, but fuzzed my way there in the end.

User - Not sure whether I did this the right way, but this took me the longest time by far. Once you have a foothold, try to find out ‘where you actually are’. Once you understand that, just have a look around. An old enumeration script ended up pointing me in the right (?) direction.

Root - Again, enumerate, you’ll find something interesting.

Can’t say I had any of the problems with 502’s I’m seeing people talk about though

Can someone please help me … ?. I stuck for many days

I got a reverse shell (highly unstable one), but it’s just a dumb shell and there is nothing much I can do with that, I have tried several ways to upgrade to a full interactive shell but I have no luck with that. I need help to move forward

Rooted. Fun box but wouldn’t it was easy.

Foothold:

• Nmap and google are your best friends here, get the software version and search for known vuln and eventually you will find the right article
  • You may encounter some dependency issue, if you do use g*****-r**** c****** instead of r**** c******

User:

• Enumerate, there are some pretty good scripts out there. Read the output carefully. if you can’t crack it, you can change it. Don’t forget to reset the machine if you choose to change it

Root:

• More enumeration, there is a very interesting file read what it does and manipulate

Feel free to PM for nudges and to remove if too many spoiler

@quangvo said:

Can someone please help me … ?. I stuck for many days

I got a reverse shell (highly unstable one), but it’s just a dumb shell and there is nothing much I can do with that, I have tried several ways to upgrade to a full interactive shell but I have no luck with that. I need help to move forward

It kind of depends on what you mean by “dumb shell” vs “full interactive.”

If you can issue commands on the filesystem, read folder contents etc., then you have a shell good enough to find the information you need to get a stable shell on the box.

@TazWake The connection is highly unstable (keep getting 502 error), I tried several ways to get a more stable shell but so far no luck …

Type your comment> @quangvo said:

@TazWake The connection is highly unstable (keep getting 502 error), I tried several ways to get a more stable shell but so far no luck …

If you’ve leveraged the G***** vulnerabilities to obtain a shell, have a think about where you actually are. The “unstable” nature of the shell you’re talking about is - for me at least - a result of what it is you’ve actually landed a shell in.

As TazWake said though, don’t worry about trying to improve the quality of the shell, it’ll be sufficient. Just work out what you’re in and enumerate until you find a way out.

Type your comment> @eMVee said:

Got stuck in the process, can anyone give me a nudge in the right direction?

1. Found the G***** page
  2. Started a reverse shell via g*****_***.py
  3. Got a user g++ (added the plus instead of *, cause it changed it to bold)
  4. Found out i’m in a c***r (probably dr)
  5. Looked for the manual online for G*****
  6. Found a user d***** with a command, the connection lost again
  7. Started a new reverse shell via g*****_***.py
  8. Tried to follow the instructions to G***** D++s Sy - H++ 2 r+++t **** pd (used the + symbol instead of * because of the markdown bold and italic options)
  9. Did not get any feedback after following the instruction from the official documentation as mentioned in step 8…

So I was thinking, my reverse shell is not correct, or I am doing something wrong with following the instruction from the official documentation. Or another way is there to break out the freaking thing

Please give me nudge, I’m a bit lost in this part

Type your comment> @htbapibot said:

Official discussion thread for Laboratory. Please do not post any spoilers or big hints.

Hi, I have the root ssh private key, id_rsa and autorized_keys. But i just cant get a ssh connection going?! Kinda stuck if anyone could give some advice I would really appreciate it.

i can’t do anything!! is there someone tell me how to use this web please

@qqx said:

i can’t do anything!! is there someone tell me how to use this web please

I am not sure what it is you are struggling with so I cant really help in the context of this box.

However, if you “cant do anything”, then it might be worth looking at one of these two: