Official Spectra Discussion

Spoiler Removed

Spoiler Removed

Can anyone explain why running “./linpeas.sh” gives me a permission error, but running “bash linpeas.sh” works fine? All permissions are set correctly, I’ve never seen this before.

Rooted in less than 30 minutes. This is way too easy, after getting foothold instantly privesc to root. May I know if it is intended?

is anyone else having issues with connection on this box? SSH freezes up within seconds of logging in. Doesn’t seem to be an issue on other boxes.

ROOTED

earlier, i wonder why i can’t login as an A*nistor. and also i can’t submit flag, so i need to start over again. if you encounter this problem just reset the machine.

Hints:

foothold:
make sure you read the source code.

user:
dont forget to enum. or you will miss summer.

root:
check root perm :wink:

if you think i spoiled something. feel free to report this as a spoiler.

This was a weird one for me. HOURS to find the right user thing (my fault I guess), and less than 60 seconds to get root :expressionless:

Finally got root. Very easy except for the reset connections was a little aggressive.

Type your comment> @benjamin2000 said:

Can anyone explain why running “./linpeas.sh” gives me a permission error, but running “bash linpeas.sh” works fine? All permissions are set correctly, I’ve never seen this before.

It’s kind of funny. The filesystem is set as non-exec. So, the script itself is not executable. However, bash is executable and in a filesystem without the non-exec flag. So, even though if you call the script directly it’d usually use bash as interpreter, you cannot do it. You need to call bash and have it opening the script.

@Kaiziron said:

Rooted in less than 30 minutes. This is way too easy, after getting foothold instantly privesc to root. May I know if it is intended?

The box is easy, but after getting foothold you should at least have found some loot via common enumeration (easy again, but took me much more then 60 seconds to find out) and edited something else to get RCE after getting the user (this is actually very straightforward). If you have instant privesc as soon as you get the foothold you may have been piggybacking on someone else or found an unintended way. If not, kudos for your enum-fu!

PM me if you want to confront your solution.

Type your comment> @damnc said:

Type your comment> @benjamin2000 said:

It’s kind of funny. The filesystem is set as non-exec. So, the script itself is not executable. However, bash is executable and in a filesystem without the non-exec flag. So, even though if you call the script directly it’d usually use bash as interpreter, you cannot do it. You need to call bash and have it opening the script.

Ah ok, makes sense. Thanks!

i spent hours trying to get a revshell and still cant get a connection back!
tried php,msfconsole,bash and even made my own pl**n but cant get a shell !!!

Type your comment> @AbuQasem said:

i spent hours trying to get a revshell and still cant get a connection back!
tried php,msfconsole,bash and even made my own pl**n but cant get a shell !!!

Try with msfconsole again !

I was able to go from www straight to root because of some permission things. Is that the right way? I’m thinking that maybe I just got lucky because it seems so wild and easy.

am I blind or what? my enumeration skills are not enough, can’t get user after foothold
would love some help from someone
edit: im blind lol

Rooted! :smile:

foothold : just basic known cms rev-shell
user : make sure you didnt miss any file from the automation tools output [we definitely getting close to the summer]
root : from step to step you will understand which file you need to edit

That was fun. Annoying but fun…
Thanks

whoami && hostname && id
root
spectra
uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root)

@htbserge said:

I was able to go from www straight to root because of some permission things. Is that the right way? I’m thinking that maybe I just got lucky because it seems so wild and easy.

If you don’t know whether you got it the intended way, then you probably have not: it is quite obvious once you find it. Also you are supposed to move laterally before privesc, not going straight from RCE to root.

One of the easiest easy boxes so far. Great lead in for HTB for people coming from THM.

Find stuff you can’t see

Go beyond your tools

Find which file to edit…

Rooted.

Foothold:
→ the answer is right in front of you, basic enum, lots of tutorials online once you’re “in”

User:
→ run your typical scripts, but read EVERYTHING – no matter how dumb it may seem

Root:
→ you will probably have to do some basic reading on a new command – find what is executing and how you can use that to your advantage