Is learning C necessary/helpful

Hi all,I’ve been wondering if learning C programming is necesarry or atleast helpful.I already know python decently but never really dove into C that much.I saw a lot of tools being coded in python but not so many in C(mostly privesc exploits).How helpful is C in the ethical hacking field and should one bother learning it.Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Hi @ShreKy C should be learn if you want to know how operating systems works, as C is its main interface language. C will provide you with a wealthy landscape of how memory, processes, disk, network…works. A little C worth the time, specially when using e.g. Linux API.

Thanks @deibit

will take that into consideration

@ShreKy said:

Hi all,I’ve been wondering if learning C programming is necesarry or atleast helpful.I already know python decently but never really dove into C that much.I saw a lot of tools being coded in python but not so many in C(mostly privesc exploits).How helpful is C in the ethical hacking field and should one bother learning it.Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Caveat - I am not a pentester.

I know almost zero C and it has never been an issue. The few times I’ve needed to do something related to C, I’ve been able to google enough to progress.

I’d suggest a better idea is to learn some programming. It doesn’t matter so much what language as long as you learn the ideas/concepts. Then you can transfer them to other languages if needed. Your choice should be more based on what you want to do rather than the specific language.