How to avoid hard machines as a beginner

Hi all,this is my first post on the forum,I’m kinda new and my problem is whenever I feel a bit more confident in myself and I try a medium-a little hard machine I end up realizing I dont have what it takes yet to root it.Today I attempted Jail after finishing brainfuck(which I did 80% on my own I only had problems towards the end) and I felt confident I would atleast get close and after seeing the steps required to even get a user shell I just stopped lol.Any help is appreciated.

@ShreKy said:

Hi all,this is my first post on the forum,I’m kinda new and my problem is whenever I feel a bit more confident in myself and I try a medium-a little hard machine I end up realizing I dont have what it takes yet to root it.Today I attempted Jail after finishing brainfuck(which I did 80% on my own I only had problems towards the end) and I felt confident I would atleast get close and after seeing the steps required to even get a user shell I just stopped lol.Any help is appreciated.

I am not sure I fully understand the question.

The easiest way to avoid hard boxes is only work on the easy ones with a very high number of people getting root. If you pick hard boxes then, you aren’t really avoiding them.

However, in a more general sense, remember this is a CTF platform. This means that the box creators try to be “imaginative” and challenge users. In turn, this means you might be frustrated when every box has some new twist you weren’t expecting. Dont let this get to you. Getting 80% towards Brainfuck without assistance is pretty impressive.

@TazWake thanks,I’m trying to clear all easy ones first but from time to time I tend to jump in a harder one,I will try not to since I often get discouraged thinking im not capable of doing it and I guess thats normal I get it its gonna come with experience.Thanks again for the quick response

@ShreKy said:

@TazWake thanks,I’m trying to clear all easy ones first but from time to time I tend to jump in a harder one,I will try not to since I often get discouraged thinking im not capable of doing it and I guess thats normal I get it its gonna come with experience.Thanks again for the quick response

No worries. But really, dont get discouraged. I find some of the easy boxes incredibly difficult if they use a technology I am not used to.

Type your comment> @ShreKy said:

So, the best way to go about this is to pay for the vip if you can.
Work on easy machines and do your best. When you get stuck don’t just go-to a guide right away but google your ■■■ off. (Get used to this, it’s going to be your main source)

If you just can’t figure it out then watch the ippsec video. Read a couple of the guides. LEARN WHY it’s working… take notes for the next time.

This ■■■■ is all about learning over time. There is no fast way. The BEST way is whatever works best for you. Easy/Med/Hard is all just bullshit. It really comes down to what you know.

Easy box that requires a lot of knowledge you don’t have is hard to you, and a hard box you’ve done before a few times is much easier.

Don’t be afraid, the goal is to learn don’t let the “rating” scare you.

Everyone starts some place. Don’t let the crazy amount of paths/information scare you just start digging and you’ll find some cool ■■■■!

@PrivacyMonk3y

Thanks for the advice,I got vip a couple of weeks ago and so far done 31 boxes and been learning something different from each.I try to complete some on my own and if I do it I would watch ippsec’s video anyways.Will take into consideration your adivce,thanks :slight_smile:

:wink: no doubt