Can't ping, load any machine on firefox

Hi, i’m new to htb, so i decided to start with a simple machine, like Delivery, Doctor, and the easy machines.
I tried to ping the machine, with ping 10.10.10.x, and i send the packets, but i don’t receive anything.
Also if i try to connect the the machines, like “Doctor” with firefox, it continue to load the page for the infinity, until i close it.
P.S: yes, i set up the correct vpn, and it runs correctly
Pls someone help me, i really want to use htb.

@0fox said:

Hi, i’m new to htb, so i decided to start with a simple machine, like Delivery, Doctor, and the easy machines.
I tried to ping the machine, with ping 10.10.10.x, and i send the packets, but i don’t receive anything.
Also if i try to connect the the machines, like “Doctor” with firefox, it continue to load the page for the infinity, until i close it.
P.S: yes, i set up the correct vpn, and it runs correctly
Pls someone help me, i really want to use htb.

This is an often asked question, so you might have read some of the other responses.

If you have a VIP connection, you need to spawn the machine to your account so you can access it.

Ping is not very good for troubleshooting this problem. tracert/traceroute is much more effective.

The output of these tools will give an idea of what the problem might be. Without knowing more, there isn’t really a way people can guess what the problem is.

Remember if you are trying to open a hostname in a browser, you need to have added it to your hosts file because there isn’t a DNS service on HTB.

Yes, ur right, i’m sorry.
But now when i try to ping a machine, i got packets back, but when i try to browse it i got this error “Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at 10.10.10.x”
so if u said i need to add the host to my host file, how can i do it?

@0fox said:

Yes, ur right, i’m sorry.
But now when i try to ping a machine, i got packets back, but when i try to browse it i got this error “Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at 10.10.10.x”
so if u said i need to add the host to my host file, how can i do it?

The first thing to check is that there is a webserver on the IP address you are trying to connect to - not every box has a webserver on port 80.

You only need to modify the hosts file if you want to use a hostname, for example:

http://10.10.10.3 should work whatever you do, but if you want visit lame.htb you need to edit the file at /etc/hosts and add a line which says:
10.10.10.3 lame.htb

Just to reiterate, however, if the server isn’t listening on port 80, then neither connection will work.

Hi, I have a similar problem.

I’m connected to the VPN, ping to the machine IP is good. The IP and URL are added on /etc/host/
nMap is working good.
Navigate through the internet is also good, and HTB shows that I’m connected to their VPN
But when I want to access to the URL of the machine (in my case https://laboratory.htb/)
It can’t reach the server.
Also, if I do a traceroute to it, it doesn’t reach it

What should I do?

Thanks in advance

@redhammer said:

Hi, I have a similar problem.

I’m connected to the VPN, ping to the machine IP is good. The IP and URL are added on /etc/host/
nMap is working good.
Navigate through the internet is also good, and HTB shows that I’m connected to their VPN
But when I want to access to the URL of the machine (in my case https://laboratory.htb/)
It can’t reach the server.
Also, if I do a traceroute to it, it doesn’t reach it

What should I do?

Thanks in advance

If nmap and ping are working, it is almost certainly a problem with the hosts file.

• Can you connect to http://10.10.10.216/ ?
  • Are you running traceroute to laboratory.htb or 10.10.10.216?
  • double check the syntax in your hosts file.
  • check you dont have a proxy in the way

What error message does firefox present when it fails?

• I’m not sure what you mean with connect to 10.10.10.216 but when I put it on the browser i loads the firefox error of :

Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site.

We can’t connect to the server at laboratory.htb.

If that address is correct, here are three other things you can try: (and so on)

• Only can traceroute to 10.10.10.216. When i do to URL i get: laboratory.htb: Name or unknown service
    Cannot handle “host” cmdline arg `laboratory.htb’ on position 1 (argc 1)

*on host file i only have :
10.10.10.216 laboratory.htb
10.10.10.216 git.laboratory.htb

*I check proxys on firefox and aslo DNS( with 1.1.1.1) and i don’t have any

@redhammer said:

• I’m not sure what you mean with connect to 10.10.10.216 but when I put it on the browser i loads the firefox error of :

Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site.

We can’t connect to the server at laboratory.htb.

If you have put https://10.10.10.216/ into the browser but the error message says it cant connect to laboratory.htb then something is wrong with your configuration.

If that address is correct, here are three other things you can try: (and so on)

• Only can traceroute to 10.10.10.216. When i do to URL i get: laboratory.htb: Name or unknown service
    Cannot handle “host” cmdline arg `laboratory.htb’ on position 1 (argc 1)

Good because traceroute shouldn’t be able to recognise a HTTP URL. I just wasn’t sure from your previous post if the traceroute was failing because the connection or not.

If traceroute is not connecting to 10.10.10.216 then your network connection isn’t working.

Mm… but i can connect to other websites and so on… so i guess my network connection is working. It only fails to connect to this particular URL/IP

When I ping i can ping 10.10.10.216 but not laboratory.htb

@redhammer said:

Mm… but i can connect to other websites and so on… so i guess my network connection is working.

Traceroute disagrees with you. Being able to access other websites doesn’t mean your VPN connection is working as that traffic doesn’t go over the VPN.

If traceroute doesn’t reach the IP then something isn’t working on the connection.

It only fails to connect to this particular URL/IP

If you are VIP/VIP+ are you sure the box has been spawned to your account?

When I ping i can ping 10.10.10.216 but not laboratory.htb

Ping is less reliable for this than traceroute but this implies that there is a problem with either the network connection or the hosts file.

Ping doesn’t use hostnames as such, it uses it to look up the IP address. So if it works with the IP address but not the hostname, then it’s failing to look up laboratory.htb in your hosts file.

Check for typos, misplaced comment lines, etc.

The thing is that i only have in the host file this 2 lines:

Should i add something else?
I try to look for examples on the internet but i didn’t found something it could work

@redhammer said:

The thing is that i only have in the host file this 2 lines:

Should i add something else?
I try to look for examples on the internet but i didn’t found something it could work

That looks correct, but something isn’t working. You need to work down each step and see where the problem is.

• Is your VPN connection working? Check your IP address; make sure its a HTB one; make sure the VPN is still active while you are running other commands etc.
  • Check the server has been started and spawned to your connection.
  • Check traceroute to see where the traffic goes - this will often identify where the problem might be.
  • Try spawning a different HTB box and seeing if you can connect to that with traceroute (dont use a browser as not all boxes have a webserver running and that will just make things more confusing).

I get this trace routing this machine and others, it seems it doesn’t work only with this one,

I try to access to the website of the Machine Delivery (i know this one uses a webserver), after a successful nmap, and it works, i didn’t add it to /etc/host or anything and I tried again this one and nothing…

But with the machine Academy (The IP worked 10.10.10.222) i can reach the webserver (but im not sure if this one use it)

@redhammer said:

I get this trace routing this machine and others, it seems it doesn’t work only with this one,
Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Ok that is kind of odd. It means we can narrow down some options though. More than 3-4 hops over the HTB VPN is a sign something isn’t working.

Looking at the data, the packets go to the switch (10.10.14.1) but then dont know where to go. This implies the switch doesn’t have a path to 10.10.10.216.

Are you a VIP/VIP+ user? If so, have you started/spawned the machine into your profile?

If not the chances are the server is broken on your VPN and may need a restart. If this doesn’t work, you can try downloading a different connection pack and connecting to a different regional server; or raise a ticket with HTB to get the box fixed.

I try to access to the website of the Machine Delivery (i know this one uses a webserver), after a successful nmap, and it works, i didn’t add it to /etc/host or anything and I tried again this one and nothing…

If you didn’t add it to your hosts file, you probably connected to an IP address rather than a hostname.

But with the machine Academy (The IP worked 10.10.10.222) i can reach the webserver (but im not sure if this one use it)

I wouldn’t worry too much about looking for a webserver. If traceroute doesn’t work, there is no path for your packets so you cant connect. If traceroute does work, there is a path and then you can determine if there is a server listening.

I’m not an VIP.

One of the first things I did before writing in the forum was tho download again the connection pack on a different server. I think I will contact HTB, and maybe they know better what is the issue

If you didn’t add it to your hosts file, you probably connected to an IP address rather than a hostname.

yes i think it was that because the URL was just the IP and later on, in the machine you need to access another URL that i wasn’t able because wasn’t an IP

Thanks for all your help, you really help me to understand a lot of things (even when i couldn’t solve the problem) People like you make forums communities great! Thank you very much!

Hi guys, seems like there is another guy with my same problem, i solved that, i just downloaded again the VPN, and add the machine to the hosts file.
But i’ve got another problem, now i can connect to the machine like Academy, Delivery; yes; but yesterday i tried to do the new scriptkiddie machine, i added it to the hosts file, but i can’t connect to it on firefox.
I can nmap it, and ping it also. but i can’t load the page, this is the error firefox gives me:

Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at 10.10.10.226.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox 

is permitted to access the Web.