How to avoid hard machines as a beginner

@ShreKy said:

Hi all,this is my first post on the forum,I’m kinda new and my problem is whenever I feel a bit more confident in myself and I try a medium-a little hard machine I end up realizing I dont have what it takes yet to root it.Today I attempted Jail after finishing brainfuck(which I did 80% on my own I only had problems towards the end) and I felt confident I would atleast get close and after seeing the steps required to even get a user shell I just stopped lol.Any help is appreciated.

I am not sure I fully understand the question.

The easiest way to avoid hard boxes is only work on the easy ones with a very high number of people getting root. If you pick hard boxes then, you aren’t really avoiding them.

However, in a more general sense, remember this is a CTF platform. This means that the box creators try to be “imaginative” and challenge users. In turn, this means you might be frustrated when every box has some new twist you weren’t expecting. Dont let this get to you. Getting 80% towards Brainfuck without assistance is pretty impressive.