Open VPN file not working

(info: OS- Parrot 5.7.10 , VirtualBox)

I put: “sudo openvpn shieldmaiden.ovpn”

it said: Error opening configuration file: Shieldmaiden.ovpn

I’ve tried re-downloading, resetting, i’m using sudo for root so that’s not the issue and my IPv6 is enabled.

(I apologise if the answer is so obvious you cringe, I’m just a noob atm lol)

Type your comment> @Shieldmaiden said:

I’ve tried re-downloading, resetting, i’m using sudo for root so that’s not the issue and my IPv6 is enabled.

Never apologies for asking a question :slight_smile:

I may not help you but all I can think of is:
have you tried the complete path to your shieldmaiden.ovpn? sudo openvpn /path/path/shieldmaiden.ovpn
or
maybe your rights (even as root) is not set on the file? chmod +x shieldmaiden.ovpn

@Shieldmaiden said:

Double check your spelling.

In linux there is a world of difference between Shieldmaiden.ovpn and sheildmaiden.ovpn

The error message talks about a different file than the one mentioned in the error message.

Like @acidbat says, never feel you need to apologise for asking questions. We are all here to learn and no one knows everything.

1 Like

Type your comment> @acidbat said:

Never apologies for asking a question :slight_smile:

I may not help you but all I can think of is:
have you tried the complete path to your shieldmaiden.ovpn? sudo openvpn /path/path/shieldmaiden.ovpn
or
maybe your rights (even as root) is not set on the file? chmod +x shieldmaiden.ovpn

still no luck.
Its saying the following; “Options error: In [CMD-LINE] : 1 : Error opening configuration file:”

still no luck.
Its saying the following; “Options error: In [CMD-LINE] : 1 : Error opening configuration file:”

As @Tazwake mentioned; with linux there is a difference between Shieldmaiden.ovpn and shieldmaiden.ovpn as in everything is case-sensitive when it comes to linux.

I get the same error if I type: sudo openvpn HTB.ovpn because HTB.ovpn file does not exist on my system.
So make sure you have typed it correctly path and name

still no luck.

As @Tazwake mentioned; with linux there is a difference between Shieldmaiden.ovpn and shieldmaiden.ovpn as in everything is case-sensitive when it comes to linux.

I get the same error if I type: sudo openvpn HTB.ovpn because HTB.ovpn file does not exist on my system.
So make sure you have typed it correctly path and name

I’ve tried both uppercase and lowercase options but still all stay the same, I’ve followed HTB’s instructions crystal clearly.
I’m wondering if the document is different to how it should be, though I’ve tried re-downloading it and get the same results, so I don’t see why it could be because of that.

There may be possibly something wrong with the OS, since even as root some upgrades don’t work.
Should I re-download the OS instead?

I’ve tried both uppercase and lowercase options but still all stay the same, I’ve followed HTB’s instructions crystal clearly.
I’m wondering if the document is different to how it should be, though I’ve tried re-downloading it and get the same results, so I don’t see why it could be because of that.

There may be possibly something wrong with the OS, since even as root some upgrades don’t work.
Should I re-download the OS instead?

Weird…
To me the error indicates it can’t find the file.
Personally my last resort would be to re-download and install the OS since it doesn’t really indicates that its a problem there. (however, sometimes its easier since everything seems to fail … so up to you)

How about you paste the command(s) you are using and where your file is located?
is there a space in the path?
If so make sure you use " " or ' ' in your path.

@nxmxss said:
Might be some problem with openvpn itself. Try restoring it ir simply reinstall your whole OS if you still having some problem using it.

Type your comment> @nxmxss said:

@nxmxss said:
Might be some problem with openvpn itself. Try restoring it ir simply reinstall your whole OS if you still having some problem using it.

I’ve reinstalled the whole OS, I still have the same issue :frowning:

A full OS install seems like overkill tbh.

Double check:

1. the config file is where you are telling openvpn to look.
  2. the config file is readable by the account running openvpn.
  3. you are running openvpn with sudo if necessary.

Some troubleshooting tips:

The full error message matters.
The full command line you use matters.
Check (ls etc) that files are where you expect them to be.

Hello,
I know this post was 12 months ago, but if the problem is still an issue, please try the following first:

cd Downloads

then continue with your config file:

sudo openvpn shieldmaiden.ovpn

Hope it helps! :blush:

1 Like

Came here with the same issue and your advice was bang on the money, thank you buddy