Linux Fundamentals

Spoiler Removed

@HcKy said:

I think they need to make that “ssh to target” portion bigger, or at least more obvious. It’s actually a smaller font than everything else and it looks like a lot of people who are learning are missing it.

Agreed.

I cracked and had a look at this “lab” on Academy. Its actually quite interesting.

I’ve hit a brick wall on one question which is entertaining and frustrating (starting a server with npm, as it doesn’t seem to have npm installed)

Type your comment> @HcKy said:

Type your comment> @TazWake said:

I cant help in detail because I’ve never looked at the module.

I would suggest the correct answer is /home/htb-student.

With the network interface, are you sure you have used ssh to connect into the target instance (the first question)

I think they need to make that “ssh to target” portion bigger, or at least more obvious. It’s actually a smaller font than everything else and it looks like a lot of people who are learning are missing it.

I just clicked on ‘start instance’ and it has already connected me to the VPN. I think I connected fine???

@Shieldmaiden said:

I just clicked on ‘start instance’ and it has already connected me to the VPN. I think I connected fine???

You connected to the parrot instance fine.

You didn’t connect to the target unless you ran ssh htb-student@(IP ADDRESS) after starting the target.

1 Like

@Shieldmaiden said:

You connected to the parrot instance fine.

You didn’t connect to the target unless you ran ssh htb-student@(IP ADDRESS) after starting the target.

I have the correct answer now perfect. Tysm!! SMH the academy never taught me to do that :confused:

@Shieldmaiden said:

I have the correct answer now perfect. Tysm!! SMH the academy never taught me to do that :confused:

Glad you’ve got it now. If you ever solve the npm question later on, please let me know. I have no clue how to answer it.

Spoiler Removed

Spoiler Removed

Hi everyone, I don’t understan why at the question about kernel I cannot figure out correct answer,
Which kernel version is installed on the system? (Format: 1.22.3)?

I use
uname -v

it asnwer me
SMP Parrot 5.5.17-1parrot1 (2020-04-25)
I tryed

-SMP Parrot 5.5.17-1parrot1 (2020-04-25)
-Parrot 5.5.17-1parrot1 (2020-04-25)
-5.5.17-1parrot1 (2020-04-25)
-Parrot 5.5.17-1parrot1
-Parrot 5.5.17-1
-Parrot 5.5.17
-5.5.17-1parrot1
-5.5.17-1

I don’t have idea

1 Like

It looks like you are running this on your own system.

At the start of the questions is a bit which says:

Target: Click here to spawn the target system!

SSH to with user "htb-student" and password "HTB_@cademy_stdnt!"

You need to spawn a target and connect to it. Then get the information from that system.

1 Like

thanks for your answer i trying to connect to ssh…
i open my_credentials.txt
take IP on the botton aside target:
then
ssh username@targetip

when it ask password i’m using that i toke in txt file…but is not correct…is it normal?

ok sorry… i figure it out… i so stupid i must ssh with username htb_student…i fell dumb…sorry again… all works fine now

Nice one - it is all about learning.

Hi everyone…I’ve a question, what’s is the difference between:

dpkg -l | wc -l
apt list --installed | wc -l

and why they give me different values ? (748 and 738)
and why if it work dpkg -l, the

dpkg -s 

give me error:
–status needs at least on package name argument

I cannot figure out the right number of installed packages

I find the solution, but I dont understand why apt and dpkg give me different reponse

I found a strange stuff the number of packages change without doing anything

It won’t let me switch to user htb-student because this user doesn’t exist. So how am I suppose to ssh a machine with this user if it doesn’t exist?

@NightSleuth said:

It won’t let me switch to user htb-student because this user doesn’t exist. So how am I suppose to ssh a machine with this user if it doesn’t exist?

How are you trying to switch to the user? You ssh in as that user account.

@NightSleuth said:

I’ve tried through ssh and sudo, sudo works between root and the other user, but doesn’t work when I try to switch to htb-student. If I ssh stb-… it won’t work either.

@NightSleuth said:

I can’t even login to that user in order to ssh with the right user.

@NightSleuth said:

@NightSleuth said:

I can’t even login to that user in order to ssh with the right user.

I am not sure I understand this.

You don’t login as that user in order to ssh as that user. You login to your system as any user who is valid on your system.

Then you ssh into the box as the htb-student user.

So just to check:

• you click on the link to spawn the target system and it will give you an IP address.
  • you ssh in with ssh htb-studen@(whatever IP it gave you) and then use the password provided.

If you are tying to switch user before you have SSH’d in, you are trying to switch on your local system.

I have problem with this task ‘What is the name of the hidden “history” file in the htb-user’s home directory?’, can someone give me like some hints or something…

I accessed both target machine’s home and local workstation home, tried most of ls combinations to see hidden files, but actually got nothing…

What am I doing wrong here, and I would be thankful if you can give me some hints.

1 Like