Official Jewel Discussion

Rooted.

Found the vulnerability and POC without any assistance, but couldn’t get it to work properly with any custom commands. Took a lot of time spinning my wheels after that, but got it working. Root was easy. Decent box, albeit far from my favorite.

So going through a file I found two password hashes. With the type of hashing used, it’s going to take over a week to crack one using john. Is this a rabbit hole?

@DaShan3 said:

So going through a file I found two password hashes. With the type of hashing used, it’s going to take over a week to crack one using john. Is this a rabbit hole?

It depends. It shouldn’t take that long if you have the right file. The hashing mode (starts with a b) is quick to crack in Hashcat.

Type your comment> @TazWake said:

@DaShan3 said:

It depends. It shouldn’t take that long if you have the right file. The hashing mode (starts with a b) is quick to crack in Hashcat.

Thank you! Forgot about Hashcat.

rooted. another box where i learned a good amount of new things, and reminder to not forget what you’ve already learned!

Rooted. a fun box, needs a good dict-file.

System doesn’t let me log in to website. I made a payload but I can’t use. Because I can’t log in [If you are the application owner check the logs for more information.] Any hints?

@Capitan said:

System doesn’t let me log in to website. I made a payload but I can’t use. Because I can’t log in [If you are the application owner check the logs for more information.] Any hints?

When you say you “cant log in”, what error messages are you getting? Are you sure you are using the correct account details?

can i please get a nudge? im stuck on that box for a couple of hours now and im so frustrated have’nt gotten the user yet but done so much recon

@bgokjh said:

can i please get a nudge? im stuck on that box for a couple of hours now and im so frustrated have’nt gotten the user yet but done so much recon

This is one of the harder medium boxes, so be prepared to do some “out-of-the-box” thinking.

First make sure your wordlist is big enough. Then enumerate the servers. One on you might find something which is worth further investigation. If you find a software version, look to see if it is exploitable. If it is, exploit it.

I got real slow cracking with hashcat and bcrypt 624h/s. Im using a rtx 3080. that cant be right?

@pufferty said:

I got real slow cracking with hashcat and bcrypt 624h/s. Im using a rtx 3080. that cant be right?

Double check you are using the correct mode. It should crack in a fairly short time.

@TazWake said:

@pufferty said:

Double check you are using the correct mode. It should crack in a fairly short time.

Or put in other words: When it takes a long time, it wasn’t the correct the hash :wink:

can i get a nudge on cracking the hashes? I found more than 2, having trouble getting the right dictionary for this. I am running hashcat and ran jtr both with the B* algorithm but it doesnt seem to be able to crack. I found the search engine but i believe i need to crack these hashes before i priv esc so i can use the password to run s***

Got root! Very nice machine! Learned so much about new things!
Foothold is hard when it’s compared to privilege escalation. Timing created a huge problem for me to do 2 F* thing. But I used a mobile app, then it’s finally done.

PM for nudges

Are user (b***) password crackable? I’m like 1h in rockyou and can’t can’t manage to crack it and I’m quite stuck on that
EDIT:
It is but right hash need to be bruteforced

Type your comment> @SovietBeast said:

Are user (b***) password crackable? I’m like 1h in rockyou and can’t can’t manage to crack it and I’m quite stuck on that
EDIT:

are there any hints on the machine that clued you into any patterns for the mask? like b*** likes special characters, password length X, etc ?

Type your comment> @unkn0wnsyst3m said:

EDIT:

are there any hints on the machine that clued you into any patterns for the mask? like b*** likes special characters, password length X, etc ?

@unkn0wnsyst3m b*** is a user, I wasn’t sure if this was a spoiler or not so I mask it, but if you are struggling with cracking user password you are probably looking at wrong hash of this user. Right hash are cracked in seconds with john and rockyou. I missed it at first but then I ran linpeas and after that I was able to use right hash

Type your comment> @ghostng said:

(Quote)
@ghostng b*** is a user, I wasn’t sure if this was a spoiler or not so I mask it, but if you are struggling with cracking user password you are probably looking at wrong hash of this user. Right hash are cracked in seconds with john and rockyou. I missed it at first but then I ran linpeas and after that I was able to use right hash

Ok thanks for the feedback. I have 3 hashes and already found the one from linpeas, hmmm I’ll look at my John commands again.

got it, i must have overlooked it sigh…thanks!