Official Time Discussion

Think I need a nudge. I’m trying not to follow advice I don’t understand, and I’m currently all out of ideas. I know where the vulnerability is and I know how to use the vulnerable functionality in the way it’s intended. I don’t know how to exploit it and all my ideas have failed.

I’ve narrowed it down to 5 or 6 CVEs, and I feel pretty confident that my own process would have led me to look these up sooner or later based on the errors I’ve uncovered. I have a generic question about CVEs. The ones I’ve looked up for this vulnerability all seem too vague to be really informative to me but they all have relatively high severities. How do experienced hackers approach CVEs like these (without spoiling the machine)? There are github links to the actual changes, but the one I think is the vulnerability on this box consists of 20 something commits, and I’m not quite at the point where I want to pore over 800 lines of someone else’s code to solve this box unless that’s actually what you all did, and after 5 pages of forum posts, I’m guessing that’s not the case.