Official RopeTwo Discussion

13»

Comments

• User part is not hard. :smile:

• edited October 2020

Type your comment> @HKHK said:

User part is not hard. :smiley:

Will try getting root now

• I've compiled the program and set a breakpoint on the new function.

It hard crashes with

Thread 1 "**" received signal SIGILL, Illegal instruction.

as soon as it is hit, Is this intentional or have I screwed up on the compilation stage

• @sebiV said:

I've compiled the program and set a breakpoint on the new function.

It hard crashes with

Thread 1 "**" received signal SIGILL, Illegal instruction.

as soon as it is hit, Is this intentional or have I screwed up on the compilation stage

Can you please be more specific? What program did you compile?

Hack The Box
    GREM | OSCE | GASF | eJPT

• Hi. I have a shell to the machine. can someone five me a nudge for user?

• Type your comment> @HomeSen said:
    > @sebiV said:
    >
    > (Quote)
    > Can you please be more specific? What program did you compile?

I've private messaged for fear of writing of spoilers
  • @f1x1t1x1f said:

Hi. I have a shell to the machine. can someone five me a nudge for user?

The common privilege escalation scripts should guide you the way to what to investigate next ;)

Hack The Box

@f1x1t1x1f said:

Hi. I have a shell to the machine. can someone five me a nudge for user?

The common privilege escalation scripts should guide you the way to what to investigate next ;)

OK, then I have to look deeper.

• Does anyone know, if and when a badge will be released for this machine? I mean, it went live almost 5 months ago :D

Hack The Box

• @HomeSen said:

Does anyone know, if and when a badge will be released for this machine? I mean, it went live almost 5 months ago :D

Fun fact about this box - because it is so hard, we can be 100% certain that no more than 34 people have made it to Omniscient rank on HTB since 27 June 2020.

I really feel that getting to 100% ownership is orders of magnitude harder than it was merely 12 months ago. The knock-on effect is that Guru and Elite Hacker are also a lot harder (because getting to 90% ownership when a box and a challenge change every week is painful).

Hopefully this will be taken on-board by the hiring managers, recruiters etc., who seem to be using HTB ranks as a hiring/promotion rule.

TazWake

Note: https://www.nohello.com/

Happy to help people but PLEASE explain your problem in as much detail as possible! If you say vague things like "It's not working", I cant help. This isn't Twitter so my DMs are always open.

Currently have very limited HTB time but will try to respond as quickly as possible.

• I've probably missed something obvious for the initial foothold. I've spotted the vuln in the repo and know the general direction to exploit it. The only problem is it's a client-side vuln. How exactly am I supposed to obtain an RCE from it?

denethor

• Check the other port. It will allow you to "deliver" your payload.

Hack The Box

Check the other port. It will allow you to "deliver" your payload.

Thanks for the tip.

denethor

• I got user...
    Thanks to @HomeSen for hints and supports :blush:

• rooted \o/

If someone with a better knowledge of a linux kernel has time to chat, let me know. Still don't get why some tricks didn't work as they should.

smrtptr

@pinnn said:

Got root! It was my first kernel exploit (i found two ways to exploit it) @R4J thanks!!
    P.S. Where is the badge?!

Congrats. Still fighting with it, but I'm sure that I'm on a good path ;)

The badge is expected to appear soon™ :D (at least, that's what everyone got assured of, as long as the official Discord channel existed)

There should be three badges for this box: foothold, user and root! 😅

• edited December 2020

I'm kind of stuck again for user. I managed to land an arbitrary write but I can't find a way to leak an address. Any hint would be appreciated.

EDIT: Nevermind. even if I can't "read" an address directly, I can still modify it.

denethor

• edited January 12

I've rooted it.

Thanks @r4j for amasing box and @HomeSen and @smrtptr for valuable hints and nuges.
    If I could give respect several time, I'd have done it to @HomeSen for hints :smile: and to @r4j for box. I spent several month for it and many time felt how my brain was crashing.

• This box will finally retire later today. It will be interesting to see the write ups and they are pretty much the only way I will ever manage to root it!

Well done to everyone who rooted this box.

TazWake

Happy to help people but PLEASE explain your problem in as much detail as possible! If you say vague things like "It's not working", I cant help. This isn't Twitter so my DMs are always open.

Currently have very limited HTB time but will try to respond as quickly as possible.

• @TazWake said:

This box will finally retire later today. It will be interesting to see the write ups and they are pretty much the only way I will ever manage to root it!

Enjoy: https://no-sec.net/write-up-hack-the-box-rope-two/ ;)

Hack The Box

• @HomeSen said:

@TazWake said:

This box will finally retire later today. It will be interesting to see the write ups and they are pretty much the only way I will ever manage to root it!

Enjoy: https://no-sec.net/write-up-hack-the-box-rope-two/ ;)

Thats an awesome write up! Amazing work to root the box. I think - even with the write up - I would struggle!

Thank you so much for sharing.

TazWake

Sign In to comment.