Official Laboratory Discussion

@HomeSen said:

From the descriptions I read in this thread, it’s probably related to slow service start, combined with people resetting the machine due to the 502 :smiley:
The service really takes its time to come up, and until then the upstream proxy will return “I can’t reach that service”

That kind of makes sense, although I did wait about 30 minutes before I gave up this morning (and I made sure I cancelled anyone else trying to reset it after my reset :wink: )

Ah okay. Well, 30 minutes would be a tad bit too much, though. Maybe someone killed the service (or one of the dependencies) in the meantime.
But yea, it sounds really odd.

Type your comment> @junglemonkey said:

Hi guys, I transferred Labratory machine ownership (which I haven’t seen before) to myself. Can someone explain that to me? Like have root/Administrator never gives that option so I think it has something to do with the VM internals - is that related to the access? Apologies, n00b overhere.

Completely unrelated to root or admin access. It’s for the website to track if you have an active machine/so you have control over resets and extension.

Rooted the machine,
Initial foothold was difficult because you need to setup your own local instance to generate the payload.
Thanks @cmoon for giving me nudges
PM if you need help

Am I the only one who still got the 502 ?

Type your comment> @aimforthehead said:

I had to resort to changing servers over and over again until I found one that had a working webpage.

Practically impossible to work on this box, at least at this time in the evening. It keeps being reset every half hours.

Edit : I tried to recreate the environment inside a VM. I followed to the letter every step written on the official docs both for G***** and D*****, but I still can’t get it to work (the browser just hangs). If anyone has a good link that explains in details how to set everything up so I can work on some tests, that’d be great :slight_smile:

@aimforthehead said:

@cmoon said:

I had to resort to changing servers over and over again until I found one that had a working webpage.

Possibly too late to be helpful now, but I really think its better if people report things like this via a jira ticket.

If you have to change servers, then it implies something on the original server is broken and it isn’t being fixed by a reset. It frustrates me that it is becoming more and more common but HTB wont ever become aware of it unless people tell them.

For me, this box was so problematical I nearly gave up. After raising a ticket (and sadly simply being told “its working for us, maybe you should reset it”) I went back on the box and it was finally working.

I did have to cancel a lot of resets while I was working on it though.

@dragonista said:

Practically impossible to work on this box, at least at this time in the evening. It keeps being reset every half hours.

If you are on the new “Beta” interface, it alerts you to a user trying to reset a box you are working on and you can try to reject it.

However, the 502 error means lots of people will think they need to reset rather than wait.

@TazWake said:
@cmoon said:

Possibly too late to be helpful now, but I really think its better if people report things like this via a jira ticket.

If you have to change servers, then it implies something on the original server is broken and it isn’t being fixed by a reset. It frustrates me that it is becoming more and more common but HTB wont ever become aware of it unless people tell them.

Probably should have on this one but I figured I was just too impatient. Definitely done that before

Just rooted it. Definitely shouldn’t be rated easy. Feel free to pm me for a hint but make sure you’re prepared to tell me what you’ve tried.

Yeah this was a very nice box! Took a lot of effort to get everything right. I agree not easy… for now… I had some insights that it will become quite easy in the near future.

Though if you want to learn keep doing it in this difficult intended way! Thanks and kudos to the creator!

If anyone of able to give a nudge on how to get the reverse shell, payloads don’t seem to be working

nvm rooted

i have user and im trying to send dr-s**y to my attacker machine, and nothing is working. I tried scp, wget, and curl.

@krisp33 said:

i have user and im trying to send dr-s**y to my attacker machine, and nothing is working. I tried scp, wget, and curl.

When you can’t send it, try to rather pull it :wink:

@krisp33 said:

In addition to @HomeSen’s excellent (as always) advice, you might consider if you really need to copy it to your local machine. As far as I can remember, you can find all you need on the box.

Spoiler Removed

Man, the 502’s been there for like 45 minutes…
Thanks to @Hyp3rDrive for his guidance about running d****r I got a user shell last night and wanted to keep working on the box this morning but eh… Another time.
Great box so far though, a lot harder than anything I’ve done before, which kinda feels good actually :slight_smile:

@dragonista said:

If you have the time, please report this to HTB. Even if they are fairly dismissive (as when I reported it :smile: ), it will give them metrics which highlight the problem.

Type your comment> @dragonista said:

Thanks to @Hyp3rDrive for his guidance about running d****r I got a user shell last night and wanted to keep working on the box this morning but eh… Another time.
Great box so far though, a lot harder than anything I’ve done before, which kinda feels good actually :slight_smile:

Switching servers solved the problem for me :slight_smile: