Official Academy Discussion

@mrdos said:

any hint what to look for in the admin Page?

Almost all of it. Something hasn’t been done and people are mentioned.

Just rooted Academy. It was a great box, IMO not an easy one. Lateral movement from user1 to user2 can take a long time. Check from which group user1 is a member of and what that group is meant for, it helps me to point to the location you have to search. Check that location and you will see an interesting directory and with Google, you can learn what you have to search for and how.

If you still need a nudge, just DM!

Type your comment> @3LI said:

which wordlists do you use to find the admin dir ?
with dirb i didn’t find it with commun and with big wordlist
thanks
Check if your dirb setup was using the IP or the host/vhost for the requests.

Related to this answer from TazWake:

@TazWake said:
@3LI said:

also in the CVE exploit in general what is vhosts ?
thanks

Normally its a way of allowing a server to host multiple domain names. It means a server can host example1.com, example2.com etc and serve diferent content based on the hosts part of the HTTP request.

In some instances it is the same as the hostname you want to hit.

Finally rooted, frustrating but interesting machine and hints definitely helped me get past a couple of hurdles. Saw 1 thing that I’ve never seen before.

PM if you need some help.

edited – nvm

Type your comment> @T13nn3s said:

Just rooted Academy. It was a great box, IMO not an easy one. Lateral movement from user1 to user2 can take a long time. Check from which group user1 is a member of and what that group is meant for, it helps me to point to the location you have to search. Check that location and you will see an interesting directory and with Google, you can learn what you have to search for and how.

If you still need a nudge, just DM!

User1 to 2 has an easy way and hard one trolling the logs can be tedious but a popular enum script will give you what you need (latest ver)

Foothold was obvious enough for me to miss it for way too long :smiley:
For user1 to user2, when I landed in the home directory, I saw a .viminfo file, and the thing everyone’s looking for was in it. Thankfully for me, for some reason it didn’t work so I kept working and finally got it the regular way.
But, for everyone, please, please, clean up the place before leaving, it can really ruin the fun for the others !
Anyway, good box, even though the user switch drove me insane :slight_smile:

Type your comment> @bashsupremacy said:

Type your comment> @saulgoodmn said:

Type your comment> @saulgoodmn said:

Anyone do the user part manually?

Anyone get user manually instead of using msf*******? please PM me if you did. Just IMHO, I would say this is not OSCP like. I rooted and did a personal write up on every box in the public network during my lab time. The OSCP boxes are more like “find the exploit” enumerate, create your payload , find root vector own box. I only seen this method in the training .pdf in the 2020 version.

I would also like to join the discussion about manually doing it after having done it with msf… I found some stuff on github but I can’t seem to get it to work.

Thank you for your interest. I still can’t find a way to do this manually except for removing the MSF needed part of the exploit and making it work manually. You can only use MSF once on the OSCP test. That is one of the hardest tests I have ever done. Learn how to do all of these manually if your goal is to be a professional pentester. Sometimes all you get is a cmd line with limited to no tools in a real world pentest. Learn MSF but don’t depend on it.

Hi crew, I found user2 password but not really sure that is the right user that I need to get root. Also tried password variations for userX and grep for all other similar “values”.
Any tips where to go from here? :slight_smile: TNX.

@AHam1lt0n , @bashsupremacy
I sent you a PM. There are several publicly available scripts that work without MSF :wink:

@MadTriber said:

Hi crew, I found user2 password but not really sure that is the right user that I need to get root.

The easiest way to find out is to become the user and see what they can do.

Also tried password variations for userX and grep for all other similar “values”.
Any tips where to go from here? :slight_smile: TNX.

It depends why you think user2 is no use for you and what you are looking for with userX for example.

I am stuck with users part
any hints

@khanafeer said:

I am stuck with users part
any hints

If you have a shell, enumeration is key.

rooted! nice box!
took some time to switch from user2 to user3, I was chasing the wrong user =/
thanks @TazWake.

TNX @TazWake for pushing me in the right direction. Getting a root is really simple when you have user2.

Intercept every request your browser send and look at them. It is a good practice to do this everytime, so you can have a look at how the web app works. After this you should give some attention on the framework used and then use that to get inside the box. After that think how the web apps store the creds to access different services internally. Then look at where you belong, and which permissions you have. Use those permissions to find userfull info. And at the end it’s simple, and in front of you. I hope this isn’t spoil at all. If you need further help send me here or on discord, but first tell me what did you do.

some one can help me root the machine?
i already have user
PM PLEASEE

@shahafkobi said:

some one can help me root the machine?
i already have user
PM PLEASEE

You need another user, then the path to root presents itself to basic enum.

So, I found the secret a**** area. Found the MSF l****** exploit and set VHOST to dev--**-..*** . After running the exploit, the output in Burp is a 500 UnexpectedValueException . Can anyone point me in the right direction?

@el0uid said:

So, I found the secret a**** area. Found the MSF l****** exploit and set VHOST to dev--**-..*** . After running the exploit, the output in Burp is a 500 UnexpectedValueException . Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Are you pushing the attack through burp rather than at the server directly via MSF?

If you are using MSF, dont forget the key matters.