Pen testers from Germany and Europe please infos

Hi there.

As already mentioned else-where, I am a penetration tester (and forensicator) in Germany. First off: I obviously can’t speak about salary, but I found the following (German) blog post quite accurate: https://www.prosec-networks.com/blog/der-job-als-penetration-tester/ Those figures are pre-tax, of course.

The last paragraph of that blog is bollocks, in my experience, but it might be different in other companies.
For me, there is no such thing as a typical day (usually), but rather a typical week. Most of the engagements last 1 or 2 weeks. Sometimes more. So, the usual weeks start with getting an overview on the test target, followed by (in my case) device or infrastructure tests (I don’t like web, and IMO only know some basic stuff, there ^^ ) and trying to document/write the report along the way. But most of time I just take quick notes, and then spend 1-2 days with actually documenting results and writing the actual report. Long-lasting projects are rather rare, since customers usually want/need results by yesterday. So, for complex tests, several testers get thrown at the target, to keep test frames short (and customers happy).
For me, switching to pentesting was making a profession from my passion. Of course, there are days you “hate” the job or certain tasks, but that’s why it’s a job. And in the end, you get paid for also doing the “less-enjoyable” stuff :wink:

1 Like