Official Academy Discussion

@MRwatch0xff That’s what iam trying to do two days now, but nothing :frowning:

stuck on Ll ms***. session not not created. Is my TA****U** not correct?

Type your comment> @Alexmackzie said:

I’ve tried that as well, got the same issue.

Type your comment> @alphaomega said:

Got it!
It needs something else thrown into it

Did someone change the fcking user flag?

@petrostheol said:

Did someone change the fcking user flag?

The flags change on every reboot.

Type your comment> @alphaomega said:

I am still stuck on this as well…any hints appreciated ^^

Edit: Got it!! Thanks

I am still stuck on this as well…any hints appreciated ^^

you are probably missing one of the parametres of the exploit, try googling the one you are not using

I’ve gotten user but am struggling to get to 2nd user. Looking for nudges. Spend several hours looking through logs at this point and am obviously missing something

I’m having major DNS issues. When I try to go to the subdomain I get a host not found error. I had to put the root domain into my hosts files to even get it to start working in the beginning – has anyone else solved this issue?

@MazerRac said:

I’m having major DNS issues.

It probably isn’t DNS on HTB (although I haven’t looked at this box yet so I dont know for sure)

When I try to go to the subdomain I get a host not found error.

This means it cant find the IP address in your hosts file.

I had to put the root domain into my hosts files to even get it to start working in the beginning – has anyone else solved this issue?

If you put

10.10.10.10    example.com

In your hosts file, when you visit subdomain.example.com, you will get a failed lookup because each entry needs to be in.

To solve this, you’d need something like:

10.10.10.10    example.com subdomain.example.com

@TazWake Thanks for the pointer. I didn’t realize the didn’t have any kind of DNS running – I just assumed the VPN subnet would have a DNS server pushed through to the clients. I thought I was just helping out the DNS server the first time. Adding the subdomain fixed everything. Good to know going forward; thanks again!

@TazWake said:

It probably isn’t DNS

It’s always DNS :stuck_out_tongue:

/me ducks and runs

But yeah, sometimes the name resolution is a bit wonky. Especially with Chrome/Chromium. Don’t explicitly state which protocol to use, and 80% of the time it doesn’t even bother trying to resolve the hostname and simply takes it as Google search term :@

But yeah, sometimes the name resolution is a bit wonky. Especially with Chrome/Chromium. Don’t explicitly state which protocol to use, and 80% of the time it doesn’t even bother trying to resolve the hostname and simply takes it as Google search term

EDIT:
FFS, why does :@ hide the post’s content O.o

@HomeSen said:

@TazWake said:

It probably isn’t DNS

It’s always DNS :stuck_out_tongue:

/me ducks and runs
Lol - And I suppose you could argue this time it is the lack of DNS which causes the problem so its still a DNS problem.

Well, it’s the 101 of network troubleshooting:

1. It’s always DNS
  2. If it’s not DNS, then the DNS server’s cable has probably been cut.
  3. Otherwise, refer to #1

This may sound really stupid… I got a foothold, trying to get user. I found creds for the Mys*l server. trying to login but it wont authenticate, is this a rabit hole or am i doing it wrong?

edit: got it :slight_smile:

question… I’m root, can do anything on the system. cat root.txt to grab the flag, but submitting the flag keeps saying error. So whats up

nvm, rebooted machine, cat flag again and its different flag. submitted :slight_smile:

Rooted

I really liked this box, especially the foothold. Its simple and easy enough for someone to know it when they see it but not immediately obvious. I have to say I agree on the rating. Nothings too complex, but if your new or have taken a break I can see why it might be challenging.

Hints:

foothold: enumerate. Maybe you cant see the way forward in your browser window and need another perspective. After that look for a way in. thanks to @LewisOSF for breaking me out of my tunnel vision

User 1: I took way to long on this. Search through everything but you shouldn’t have to go to far.

User 2: What’s special about this user? what can you do?

Root: Can’t really say a whole lot without giving it away. Its something that should come up in any enumeration.

feel free to PM for hints