Official Academy Discussion

Got initial foothold, that was quite fun, definitely managed to get it by learning my lesson from my previous machine :slight_smile:

Just rooted.
I have very little xp, but this is one of the most enjoyable machine so far.
Thanks @mrb3n and @egre55!
I can understand why people more experienced than me rated this easy.
For me was just in reach, after i stretched all myself :smiley:
That was so much fun.

Just out of curiosity, can someone explain me what I saw during lateral movement?
That thing catches your eyes but I don’t understand it.

PM me for nudges!

Got user! That was fun, now going to try getting root :slight_smile:

Was going back to the thing found during “lateral movement” and the thing is not there anymore. Can someone who already went over that point check it up, please? I dont know if something was messed up before of after i got that thing

@oceans11 said:
Was going back to the thing found during “lateral movement” and the thing is not there anymore. Can someone who already went over that point check it up, please? I dont know if something was messed up before of after i got that thing

Whatever “thing” you mean (probably a script) was likely put there from a fellow user. People sometimes don’t use the /tmp directory so you’ll find various recon/enumeration scripts, executables, etc. lying around sometimes, particularly in home directories.

@Aelarion I PM’d you

That hash provided great disappointment

Imgur

Spoiler Removed

Spoiler Removed

Congratulations!
Academy root is now owned.

that last part was kinda tricky in finding the right syntax, would like to see if others got it the same way, pm

Edit: Vibing now. Nvm.

Edit: Nevermind

Is something wrong with the box The Flags are not working !!!

yeah same got root flag like 3 hours ago, but it says incorrect flag when I try to submit it

Type your comment> @0xsp1d3r said:

I tried the user flag and had the same problem

@0xsp1d3r said:

@EX1TZER0 said:

yeah same got root flag like 3 hours ago, but it says incorrect flag when I try to submit it

@DavidWaugh said:

Type your comment> @0xsp1d3r said:

I tried the user flag and had the same problem

This comes up on every thread about once a week. HTB uses dynamic hashes and sometimes they dont work. The hashes should change after every reset and be different on different VPNs - this means that hashes should be used as soon as you get them and that sometimes the process which registers the new hash in the scoring server will break.

If it is a box that is being hit with resets, it becomes imperative that the hash is used immediately as a reset will render it invalid.

Your choices are really:

• Wait a while, repwn the the box and get a working a hash.
  • Report it to HTB via a jira ticket and get them to fix the problem.

This isn’t something that can be fixed by the forum or by tips from other users.

Now the hashes are correct on US VPN

Kind of stuck on root, can anyone point me to the right path please ?

I struggled a bit with getting the foothold. I found the method I was supposed to use in about 10 minutes, but I overlooked the part where you need to use a different sd. I spun my wheels there for a bit.

The path to root from foothold wasn’t bad. I was focused on the e***** user for too long though, but once I figure out my problem, I was good to go.

I don’t think I even grep’d much like people are saying. I just used a reporting tool that is present.

Root was easy. Just look at the usual stuff.

Nice box! Thanks!

@TazWake said:
This comes up on every thread about once a week. HTB uses dynamic hashes and sometimes they dont work.

reboot issued from a root-shell doesn’t change user.txt and root.txt. If you need new flags you have got to issue a reset from htb’s webinterface. Imho htb should communicate the flag-problem in the forum and pin it to the top.