Official Passage Discussion

Anyone else have problems submitting flags for this box? Mine aren’t being accepted…

@thehandy said:

Anyone else have problems submitting flags for this box? Mine aren’t being accepted…

This might help: Cache - #466 by TazWake - Machines - Hack The Box :: Forums

Got it rooted, thanks!

Rooted!! Had some great nudges for user. After that it was basic enumeration.

I am taking my OSCP next Friday and I can say that this machine embodies so much of the material that I have learned. In my opinion, this encompasses so much of what you need.

Also, your knowledge of programming and scripting will make this machine a piece of cake. Either that or you will have to do some things manually which will take forever but will still work. This is actually the main reason it is so good for OSCP. PRACTICE YOUR SCRIPTING, PEOPLE

Rooted. If you need some help, DM me.

Spoiler Removed

Just rooted the box having read the tips here but I’m still trying to wrap my head around how y’all knew to look into the public transportation thing for the root part. I would have never looked that way if not for the comments. Could someone please enlighten me? Thanks! :smile:

Great box. Easy for foothold but gets more interested along the way.
Also, very cool root part. After reading the paper I understood the name :smile:

Feel free to DM me for some nudges.

woohoo. finally got root. made the root part harder on myself then actually necessary. in retrospective a relative easy medium machine, everything is quite intuitive to follow and no actual rabbit holes if you stick to the basics. user1 → user2 is a bit tricky but best friends like to share everything, dont they :wink:

Type your comment> @thehandy said:

Yes. I’ve reached user.txt yesterday and it didn’t work. Started over today and it gave me the same hash

@rmasterhacker My problem ended up being I had the free VPN pack instead of the VIP pack, so I was trying to enter a key that didn’t correspond to my current profile’s network. Maybe try regenerating your VPN connection pack to make sure you’re aligned.

@rmasterhacker said:

Type your comment> @thehandy said:

Yes. I’ve reached user.txt yesterday and it didn’t work. Started over today and it gave me the same hash

Almost certainly somethiing has broken - I’d raise a Jira ticket.

Rooted, fun box!

Foothold: Old news
User 1: A pretty unusual take on a common place to find creds
User 2: Painfully easy to the point I ignored it for hours
Root: A new one for me, had to use the hints in here after going deep down a RE black hole but the hints made sense to me and found it easily after reading them

I’ve just looked at this box as my first one in a couple of months and it is probably the quickest foothold I’ve ever got. Sure I’ll do my usual trick of getting bogged down from here on in, but I’m taking that as a win.

Rooted the box thanks to some hints on here. I am curious, I identified the correct way to root based on the hints on here about getting on a certain form of transportation. I really don’t know how long I would have been looking if not for this hint, as nothing was sticking out. Did people who found this box easy simply notice this as an unusual thing to be on a box, based on experience? Or was there something even a noob like myself should have noticed with enough enum? Learned some really interesting stuff from it, many thanks @ChefByzen

Could someone PM me a nudge ?
Stuck at getting root, even with all the hints about bus and home, I don’t see anything that’s sticking out :frowning:

Rooted. Hints

Initial: it honestly couldn’t be easier than google

user1: Based on the talk here some people had to work for this, I don’t know why, my googling for the initial foothold pretty much gave me what I needed, though I had to upgrade my access a bit to let me use it

user2: I myself make the mistake of thinking that in CTFs everything has to be some kind of technical exploit, but even on Hackthebox it still holds true that PEOPLE ARE LAZY, so try really dumb things

root: this one was not obvious to me at all, but through rigorous googling you’ll find something that you can use. That said, you really don’t have to look far. But you do have to google, and don’t pass up things that look benign just because you don’t really know what it is

Rooted! PM me for a nudge

Managed to get through to User 2 in a few hours and have now spent the same amount of time trying to figure out how to get root. Hooray?

Finally rooted! it was a fun box. PM me for nudges! but first tell me what you have tried.