Official Compromised Discussion

Really struggling with the exploit, have the creds already, but can’t do anything from there. Anybody can pm or give a little hint?

Type your comment> @LegendHacker said:

Really struggling with the exploit, have the creds already, but can’t do anything from there. Anybody can pm or give a little hint?

This box is marked HARD. The flow seems a bit easy/classic but it cannot work out of the box otherwsie the box would be easy. So you may be onto the right thing but he usual functions and checks you’d expect to use will not work. Find alternative functions or google for alternative functions to what you’d expect to work, but which doesn’t work.

Also, not showing any output doesn’t mean it didn’t work.

The flow is rather classic but the path is tortuous (at least it was for me). I needed hints, thanks @TazWake.
For those who found @sparkla’s script useful, check this one out https://github.com/mxrch/webwrap (a wee bit better).
My 2cents (everything has been said!):
Foothold: if you want to get a shell, bypassing the restrictions in place is googleable.
User1: one function will help you do what you need to do to get access. You can land directly here without the foothold above.
User2: enum.
Root: quite a common backdoor.

What is wrong with the box rn? It is not curling my links. Not even curl localhost

Nothing is wrong. It is supposed to be like that.

apart from re**r*ng any other way to do privesc ?

@niting3c said:

Not as far as I am aware.

Type your comment> @niting3c said:

Its rlly not that bad. Basically plug and play with ghidra, wouldnt even consider it reversing.

Third time the website “disappears” even though the box is pingable. Even resetting doesn’t fix the issue. What’s wrong ?

FInally I managed to get root.
Thanks for great machine @D4nch3n. I learned something new especially about php backdoors. Also searching for compromise leftovers was something new for me - guess I wouldn’t be a good sysadmin :wink:
Many thanks @TazWake and @LMAY75 for your great hints along the way.

Umm, Hey guys just started the box today found the backup and an exploit for “l*** c***” but it requires the user credentials. Can someone help or if i am going down a rabbit hole please alert me!!

Edit: I got the user name for " l*** c*** "

Type your comment> @shubhanshu7 said:

Umm, Hey guys just started the box today found the backup and an exploit for “l*** c***” but it requires the user credentials. Can someone help or if i am going down a rabbit hole please alert me!!

You are on the right track , enumerate through the backup… as other comments have mentioned it is very worthwhile learning grep,find,locate to help with your searching. Another helpful comment was pay attention to dates :slight_smile:

Rooted. If you need some help, DM me.

User:Find correct vuln web to upload webshell and search some creds with webshell.
Root: think like a “heartbleed” It’s not about the heartbleed. Only exploitation type is similar.

Finally rooted after a few very long days! Thank you @gunroot and @LMAY75 for the nudges. Some of the tips one here are exactly what you need! Enumeration is a big part to the box. Information for user1 can be found in multiple places… once of which you have probably used already :wink:

Happy to help nudge if you need help, provide what you have done and where you are up to in a PM.

Really interesting box.
I learnt something trying to get a webshell, but its entirely not necessary (and its probably easier not to get a webshell).

I found it usefull to rewrite what was changed and print it, as i had all the letters right but not the order.

I can read files list directories but I am coming empty. I see couple of users that have bash in passwd but I am not finding info to compermise those users. Any hints would be appriciated

Real fun box, I got stuck at root, thanks to @LMAY75 for the nudge.
On a hindsight, it was obvious.

I loved scripting to own this box, this is my take on the “Not A Reverse Shell”, nothing new but since nobody posted something similar (having history, history search and emacs style special keys).

#!/usr/bin/env python3
import cmd

def execute(line):
    import requests
    target="http://YOURRCE"
    r = requests.get(target, params={"YOURCMDARG":line})
    if r.status_code == 200:
        return r.text
    else:
        return f"{r.text}\r\nnars> ERROR: http response code was {r.status_code}"

class NotAReverseShell(cmd.Cmd):
    prompt="nars> "

def do_help(self, line):
        print("Not A Reverse Shell, a pseudo shell when you cannot have one.")

def default(self, line):
        print(execute(line))

def do_EOF(self, line):
        print()
        return True

def do_exit(self, line):
        return True

def do_quit(self, line):
        return True

if __name__ == "__main__":
    NotAReverseShell().cmdloop()

Beautiful box!

Type your comment> @shubhanshu7 said:

You are on the right track , enumerate through the backup… as other comments have mentioned it is very worthwhile learning grep,find,locate to help with your searching. Another helpful comment was pay attention to dates :slight_smile:

Thanks man!! was off from htb for quite a time but gonna try it

damnnn… I just don’t know at this point. It’s been a while I’m stuck on the my*** user and can’t move forward. I saw hints pointing to the home dir of the user, but i couldn’t find anything too useful. Any hints?

@iWillBeFamous said:

damnnn… I just don’t know at this point. It’s been a while I’m stuck on the my*** user and can’t move forward. I saw hints pointing to the home dir of the user, but i couldn’t find anything too useful. Any hints?

This wont cheer you up but look closer at the things you think aren’t too useful.