Official Compromised Discussion

@TazWake said:
Not as far as I am aware. Given the difficulty in compromising SSH directly and the chance of getting a different IP each time you connect, blocking port 22 outbound seems like an odd choice. It may be down to something else (administrative interfaces, how the lab environment is configured, VPN issues etc).

They said it’s because so many people are using the default credentials, which leaves them open to easy access.

@gunroot said:

@Tazwake Can i have the reason for why we needing SSH here ?

“need” is a strong word. You can certainly use it on this box but I dont know why you’d want to go from the box to your machine here.

@metuldann said:

They said it’s because so many people are using the default credentials, which leaves them open to easy access.

Ok - I cant argue with their decisions. I disagree with their thinking here and the solution seems heavy handed but it is their environment.

@sparkla said:
No, I haven’t “lost peace of mind”. Not sure why you said that. I valued your previous comments but didn’t wanna let things escalate into endless HTB bashing, also I think we can only guess what’s going on behind the scenes, if we don’t get an official answer. Problems here are very real and some are severe. Problems with the boxes are one thing, how we tread each other is another, how we are being treaded maybe the most important one. We have to consider if our words do improve the issues or maybe make them worse. But it doesn’t really belong here in a box thread, so lets cut it.

I actually thought you would like my little bit of sarcasm -:slight_smile:
It was not my intention to offend you or anyone else.

Type your comment> @TazWake said:

Somethings to consider:

• locate is (at least in my experience) really hit and miss. It frequently misses file on my local system because I dont keep the database up to date.
  • each user account has set privs, if the account you are in doesn’t have privs to see the file, you might not be able to find it with other tools. Keep in mind what account is being used by which “exploit.”
  • If you use the second account via the first bit, the output is muddy so it isn’t great for broad searching (targeted enumeration still works).

On this box, there is no need to hunt the flags. They are exactly where they should be.

Just rooted.
There is enough hints here already, but I would like to clarify some stuff.
I was a bit surprised about all those discussions about locate/grep/find. Everything seemed to be straightforward in this machine.
Also connectivity was not really a problem cause no rev or bind shell really needed.
One item required from the box can be very easy copied.
The most enjoyable part was actually the one with m**** hence getting first user. This part is very nicely described in public (google-fu) .A similar stuff can be found on one of machines in the lab where candidates for a very famous certification practice their skills -:slight_smile:
The rest was also fine, but I used a small hint regarding which item needs to be copied for privesc (thank you @Noobish!!!). A little bit of r** gave me root on the machine.
Overall quite enjoyable.

@m4rc1n said:

I was a bit surprised about all those discussions about locate/grep/find. Everything seemed to be straightforward in this machine.

It may have been down to a misunderstanding about which account was which.

Type your comment> @m4rc1n said:

The most enjoyable part was actually the one with m**** hence getting first user. This part is very nicely described in public (google-fu)

Where tf did you find it? :joy: I searched for at least an hour or two before giving in and asking Taz

But I agree it was really interesting

in my opinion is easy to lose the correct way, you could feel frustrated, but the box is funny and there is a lot of thing to learn.
Thanks @LMAY75 .

PM if you need a hint.

Hey guys, need a little help here.
I’ve spent all day and could not progress. I am able to upload files, even managed to get a limited shell from there. I saw the user with shell that usually does not have it.
So I took a step back and managed to interact with the database as r**t. As far as I am aware of, I have f**_priv but I couldn’t do anything with it.

I’m thinking I’m losing myself in rabbit holes. Can anyone give me a hand?

Type your comment> @nom4D said:

Hey guys, need a little help here.
I’ve spent all day and could not progress. I am able to upload files, even managed to get a limited shell from there. I saw the user with shell that usually does not have it.
So I took a step back and managed to interact with the database as r**t. As far as I am aware of, I have f**_priv but I couldn’t do anything with it.

I’m thinking I’m losing myself in rabbit holes. Can anyone give me a hand?

DM me

Owned it a few seconds ago.
First of all, let me thank @LMAY75 for his help! (+respect to you pal!)
The machine:
It’s great! I liked almost every step of it.
All the hints are already there, so my suggestion is to open wide your eyes and avoid being lazy like me: double (or triple) check all what you do, otherwise you’ll end up blaming the universe, begging for help just because of a typo…

Stuck on root. Did all kind of enumeration, tried a few exploits without success but got nothing. Anyone could give me a nudge pls? (read all the forum pages more than once but couldn’t realize the path).

@nom4D said:

Stuck on root. Did all kind of enumeration, tried a few exploits without success but got nothing. Anyone could give me a nudge pls? (read all the forum pages more than once but couldn’t realize the path).

Look for something the attackers have changed, possibly with a view to allowing themselves back in at a later date.

Finally rooted the machine. It was a fun box, learnt a lot from this box.
Thanks to all the people who gave nudges.

Anyone who is having trouble with transferring the file can read this article

Also don’t try for reverse shell because you will only waste your time doing so.

For initial foothold: backup and Exploit db has something for you. Look at the info to know what to avoid.

For user1: if you can dump then you can get inside

For user2: Stay home and read the files

For root: Look what he has changed.

PM if you need help

I’m so close to root. So close, I can see it on two lines… but it seems i’m not getting the information I need from them. Is there someone who can give me a sanity check towards root?

edit: got it. Great box, love the confidence building enumeration in the beginning, only to beat the ever-loving ■■■■ out of you right when you figure out rce!

my only hint to those who might get stuck where i was: sometimes things are a little bit inside-out.

There’s another path I want to try taking too.

Rooted. Definitely found this one a big challenge. Huge thanks to @TazWake for continued, never-ending patience and to @D4nch3n for taking the time to create the box.

found creds! so far i haven’t needed a lifeboat. maybe this time i’ll get through a ‘hard’ box without help? we will see… fun though

Can someone please give me a nudge for initial foothold. I’ve got the tar and I’ve got the exploit, but I can’t seem to figure out what to do next

@Qtang said:

Can someone please give me a nudge for initial foothold. I’ve got the tar and I’ve got the exploit, but I can’t seem to figure out what to do next

Read the files. Look for things which might be useful leads. Follow the crumbs and see if they exist. If they do, read whats in them. Find loot. Use that loot.

ok i’m wasting too much time and not learning anymore…need a push.

I can list dirs, read files, but I cannot figure out how to get RCE so I can do what I need to do with the user who should not be able to login. I’ve tried every method I could find for this situation and none of them will work.

anyone in the mood to slap me upside the head?