Pentesting

Type your comment> @sparkla said:

My whole life I was made belief “work hard, be better than others, then you gonna make it.”. And by making it I mean having a normal 9 - 5 job that’s payed enough to buy a car, go out on Tuesdays and fly to Guatemala on Summer. Guess which part of that never happened in the last 20 years.

I am not sure that i correctly got your point, so excuse me in advance if my words may sound a little “assuming”…
TBH, while i see that there’s plenty of white collars in the IT and cyber security field that do the classic 9 - 5 and gets paid enough to bring home a salary which allows their family to keep going, i hardly would recommend to keep the bar so low.
I mean: established that nobody should be expected to work just for glory, and that a healty work/life balance is mandatory for everyone (not only for IT or cyber staffs), it is a totally different thing if you are doing something that you like.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

I’m tired and worn, and if you take the whole world’s population I’m probably within the top 0.001% in terms of skill in a variety of inovative technology fields. I’m willing to work. That’s still not enough to get a normal job? Then what am I doing here?

I felt the same i dont know how many times. This eventually also drove me sometimes into a huge “impostor syndrome”, starting thinking that my hard skills would hardly be really considered valuable by someone. I was almost conveinced that i was not that good at all in my work, and I went down to such a deep hole that i eventually had to choose between buying food or paying the bills. And, believe it or not, i also had to eat puffed rice for dogs for 10 days when my clients did not payed my invoices…I thought i was not getting paid because my work was not worth to.
Then i was enlightened by a thought: if someone thinks i am not good at doing a job, he whould have better skipped me or replaced me…What is the clue in letting me do the whole work and then skip only paying my invoices?
The same eventually is about getting an emplyment somewhere. We are not skipped because we are not able to do the job. We are skipped because we think we should be better to do the job. And we carry with us our HUGE backpack of uncertainties, shyness, sadness.
Know what?
We (you) are perfectly able to do whatever job until we carry with us our willing to learn…
so maybe, the reason why you (we) are here is that we are willing to learn, not just to stockpile abilities to use at work.