Do box creators get paid for their work?

Type your comment> @sparkla said:

@LMAY75 said:

every company has to maintain their servers so thats not really any effort
As a freelance administrator I feel kinda misunderstood. It’s quite a lot of effort to maintain servers.

And not as cheap as most people think. Big hosting companies advertise with “Get 1 year AWS for free” or “99 cent hosting” but the real cost is at least 20€ / month per server not including the service technician, and all cloud companies charge a lot more than that.

But lots of people seem to misunderstand me these days, some on purpose. Didn’t mean you, @LMAY75

After sitting in a dark room working 16h / days 7 days / week for almost a year and even paying for this madness all I can say is:
Nobody in the world should work for free and without social- and health insurance. Box creators, Pentesters, Ippsecs, Forum Moderators, … actual state-of-the-art is to pay Apprentices like us, too. Well, not in IT but in the normal world, where we apparently don’t live in. Except when we have to buy food, pay rent, take care of our kids, …

I didn’t mean it like that lol I understand its quite a bit of work, more coming from the companies angle of well they would have to do that regardless, so it becomes kinda a base entry cost.

Absolutely agree that when people put out work for a company they deserve to get paid. Of course the rebuttal here is that they do it for fun as a hobby, the only thing I can say is the guys who make skins for CS:GO are clearing high 6 figures every year.

The reason that I am bringing this up is that what does the VIP really do for you? Well it gives you access to retired machines. But those retired machines weren’t made by HtB they were made by the creators who kindly gave them to HtB. Therefore, really HtB is just collecting money from the work of other people.

Once again, not bashing Htb. This is a really smart business model and good for them that they have built this community and everything, I really appreciate it and I know a lot of others do as well. Just kinda curious as to how everything worked, seeing as though I’ve never made a box before.