Official Blackfield Discussion

@gunroot said:

Congrats on rooting continuously. Probably he might be in lockdown with Laptop & Internet alone. :smiley:

Just 4 fun.

it’s not actually that continuous. I thought it was a bit strange but it turns out they rooted this box a few hours before posting it, and some of the other boxes were a week ago.

@TazWake said:

it’s not actually that continuous. I thought it was a bit strange but it turns out they rooted this box a few hours before posting it, and some of the other boxes were a week ago.

Lol! I didn’t see his HTB profile. :slight_smile:

@gunroot said:

Lol! I didn’t see his HTB profile. :slight_smile:

:+1:

Wow!! This box was intense!! I struggled a lot with the root part but with all of your’s hints and some very useful articles, I was able to make it! Thanks all!
I can try and help if anyone wants any small hints - though I doubt that everything you need is all given in here!

And…rooted! Really had fun with this one! Banged my head against the wall on Compromised for a day or two, so I decided to try blackfield. For foothold and user I think I used exactly the same route/path as everyone else. However for root/system…I really don’t think so: there is a much faster way than those horrible, clunky b****up commands/scripts, that for me at least, just did NOT want to work, no matter how I formatted everything and what prayers I chanted to the HTB Gods — but then I started thinking…wait, with those privs come other, mm…possibilities – so, with a certain PS mo**le one becomes quite powerful…this certain PS script can be found in the wild and lets you do interesting things…modules to make an exact copy of your system…on your system - could that be used for more???
:slight_smile:

Whew… getting root was tough not gonna lie, really excellent box though :slight_smile:

HTB is not accepting the root flag btw lol, big oof

Type your comment> @m3ll0 said:

HTB is not accepting the root flag btw lol, big oof

Noticed the same.

If you look a couple of posts back:

Seems like I’m a little late to the party

@LMAY75 said:

Yes you’re late. But the party is still going on. Have a beer ?

Type your comment> @gunroot said:

@LMAY75 said:

Yes you’re late. But the party is still going on. Have a beer ?

Thanks! Might need a couple before this is done lol ?

Can somebody explain why out of the three users in the database, only one gives us TGT keys?

Edit: I think I figured it out

Evil-WinRM PS C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop> whoami
blackfield\administrator

Whew right in time! Really glad I did this box before it retired, it was a great experience with kerb and AD.

Type your comment> @LMAY75 said:

blackfield\administrator

Whew right in time! Really glad I did this box before it retired, it was a great experience with kerb and AD.

Nice work.

Interesting that it is retiring just after 117 days…
Cache is 145 days…

Confusing, would have thought cache would go first…

Type your comment> @acidbat said:

blackfield\administrator

Nice work.

Cache is 145 days…

Me too, especially since I thought there was a medium Windows box all queued up on the Submissions page

Seems odd they would get rid of a box with a near perfect 5 star rating but who knows lol

blackfield\administrator

Nice work.

Cache is 145 days…

Me too, especially since I thought there was a medium Windows box all queued up on the Submissions page

Seems odd they would get rid of a box with a near perfect 5 star rating but who knows lol

its a mystery :neutral:

At least its another Windows machine :slight_smile:

@acidbat said:

blackfield\administrator

Nice work.

Cache is 145 days…

its a mystery :neutral:

At least its another Windows machine :slight_smile:

It does seem a bit of an odd approach and there isn’t the level of consistency there used to be where the oldest one or two were always the one replaced.

I used to think it was the box with the largest number of root/user owns, but that isn’t true either.

Interestingly:
The last 5 releases have been: 1 x insane, 2 x hard, 1 x medium, 1 x easy. For people who aren’t yet ready to jump to the hard ones, there aren’t many new boxes at the moment (and we could argue all day about how hard the medium/easy ones really are)

tl;dr - this was a very fun box and a great one for people to learn some solid windows techniques.

Type your comment> @TazWake said:

Interestingly:
The last 5 releases have been: 1 x insane, 2 x hard, 1 x medium, 1 x easy. For people who aren’t yet ready to jump to the hard ones, there aren’t many new boxes at the moment (and we could argue all day about how hard the medium/easy ones really are)

That is interesting - I found this Hard box easy-ish compared to other medium boxes but it is all about skills and mindset I guess, so I agree with you on that (argue all day about how easy an easy machine is etc)

tl;dr - this was a very fun box and a great one for people to learn some solid windows techniques.
Agree on that mate, it was super fun :slight_smile:

Type your comment> @TazWake said:

Interestingly:

That is interesting - I found this Hard box easy-ish compared to other medium boxes but it is all about skills and mindset I guess, so I agree with you on that (argue all day about how easy an easy machine is etc)

Agree on that mate, it was super fun :slight_smile:

Well the next one looks to be rated at the borderline-insane level so we’ll see how that goes