Official Passage Discussion

Uh, I fell really dumb.
I’m looking for the interesting file to gain access to User 1.

I know what I should find in, I’m sure I missed it, but I can’t find it…
Spoiler Removed

Am I on the right path ?

Thanks !

Type your comment> @Sigerbjorn said:

Uh, I fell really dumb.
I’m looking for the interesting file to gain access to User 1.

I know what I should find in, I’m sure I missed it, but I can’t find it…

Am I on the right path ?

Thanks !

yes

@Shides said:

Currently I’m stucked on root :neutral: any hint is appreciated :lol:
until now I really enjoyed the machine, one of my favourite.

Enumerate. Look for something which has certain settings that you can use to your advantage.

Anyone else having an issue where the hash for p**l isn’t there? Am i just blind lol

@LMAY75 said:

Anyone else having an issue where the hash for p**l isn’t there? Am i just blind lol

Double-check to make sure it isn’t there. Be sure what you are looking for.

Type your comment> @LMAY75 said:

I was a lazy guy and I missed it twice while reading the file. When you have a lot of text in front of you, look carefully, understand what you are looking. It helps a lot :smiley:

Rooted !

That was a cool ride.
I overwhelmed the Foothold and the User !
Once those two passed, it was pretty easy and straightforward.

DM me if you need a nudge.

I posted my views on this on the cyber badger and HTB official discords… Good box @ChefByzen … some of it felt a little too CTFy to me but then of course that is the way life works sometimes.

Foothold - some googling will land you at a starting point, some digging will land you at a method to gain access to a low-priv shell. [Pre-made works, but you won’t learn from it. use premade afterwards!]
User - Look at what is available to you with your low-priv shell. Search for juicy files that could net you loot. Trust me, you haven’t looked hard enough yet if you are stuck here. its all available for you.
Privesc - pay attention to what you have access to. attention to detail will get you moving forward
Root - more enumeration and google-fu will land you an article, read up and execute for your soon to be root shell

root@passage:~# id
uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root)

Shoutout to @TazWake for the help

I’m curious about the priv esc, what other commands can be run through there/how else can I use it? PM me if you know more about it.

rooted!

Initial foothold was easy and user makes sense if you look right in front of your nose and think whether admins reuse same things for multiple people. I had a pretty good idea with how to get root but trying to understand the service and its syntax took me a bit.

Fun box nonetheless.
Send me a PM if you need help or nudges.

Got my first user.txt without looking at any hints here, pretty happy :), maybe I got lucky.

Working on root now !

Type your comment> @Xalfy said:

Got my first user.txt without looking at any hints here, pretty happy :), maybe I got lucky.

Nice. Good luck on root.

Really interesting machine, thx @chefbyzen, learned some stuff here.
Feel free to PM for nudges btw

Someone mind dm’ing me? Stuck on getting user1. I’ve enumerated the whole dir and can’t fine anything of interest. Thanks!

Good machine for OSCP preparation, try to think out of the box DM me for nudges

Got root, thanks to some hints here and Gunroot.
Mainly a newbie to pentesting and Linux world in general so it’s fair to say I learnt a lot about what you can do :smile:

No idea how to get user.txt, I feel like I’ve looked around everywhere, can someone point me to the right direction? thank you.

@PapyrusTheGuru said:

No idea how to get user.txt, I feel like I’ve looked around everywhere, can someone point me to the right direction? thank you.

Its difficult to answer this because the simplest non-spoiler answer is to enumerate. Look in the files and folders. Make sure you know what you’ve found and dont assume because something looks like a random string of characters that it isn’t useful.

But there’s a lot of data to work through. Unfortunately, this is realistic - you might do a pentest and land on a box which has 30 user’s documents and you have to go through terabytes of tedious stuff to see if they’ve left credentials out.

The main thing I can say is dont go too far from where your shell lands. Look at the files. If its encoded, decode it. If its hashed try to crack it. etc.

Is their a tool that can automate this enumeration process? I have tried to zip the interesting directory and copied it to my machine and I’ve been using grep with a certain ‘rocking’ wordlist hinted in this thread but so far the only thing I’ve managed to achieve is freezing my vm due to the grep errors because of unescaped characters in the wordlist. Am I on the right path or am I digging in the completely wrong direction?

@0xR3tr0z said:

Is their a tool that can automate this enumeration process?

Not that I know of, but if you found yourself doing this a lot it might be worth creating one.

You can possibly script it with some bash.

I have tried to zip the interesting directory and copied it to my machine and I’ve been using grep with a certain ‘rocking’ wordlist hinted in this thread but so far the only thing I’ve managed to achieve is freezing my vm due to the grep errors because of unescaped characters in the wordlist. Am I on the right path or am I digging in the completely wrong direction?

You might have pulled down too much data but you are definitely in the right area. I don’t think running grep with a wordlist will get you what you need.