Official Passage Discussion

@gunroot I figured out what I was doing wrong, now I’m trying to get root, I was stuck for so long bc of stupid mistake…

It’s been two days, I had no idea how many people would be trying this within the first week.

Well done, everyone

really easy machine but very cleaver one different than others!!! well done @ChefByzen

Got User 1 and User 2. Tried looking around if there’s any binary or file that stands out, but couldn’t find any. Not sure what the "“staying home…” tips exactly mean. I’ll appreciate any sort of help.

Spoiler Removed

rooted, PM for help

Initial foothold took me longer than it should have taken, simply following the information given.
User1, was on right piece but ignored it first
User2, facepalm
root, once knowing where to look for, easy to find the right way

Rooted! Pretty fun box! feel free to PM for help!

Spoiler Removed

Serious? Ohh a small sploiler… Bill Joy will not be happy…

Good easy box to not get rusty (I’m ashamed of myself running in circles for hrs not finding the user1 → user2 “transit area”).
Enjoyed the release arena a lot. Box is active in seconds and you have the box for yourself.

Type your comment> @TazWake said:

But yeah, on this box I am not sure what the name is related to.

Maybe relates to the user1 → user2 “transit / passage”?

@k4wld said:

Type your comment> @TazWake said:

But yeah, on this box I am not sure what the name is related to.

Maybe relates to the user1 → user2 “transit / passage”?

Good point.

Just rooted, honesty some of the hints are pointless and actually more misleading than anything.

Very interesting box, no point adding to what was already said regarding the hints.

Rooted. Pretty fun box but I don’t know why it’s rated medium. It’s one of the easiest boxes active rn.

If you’re stuck on root, the hints on here are more than enough to nudge you in the right direction. Don’t take them too literally though. I still don’t know what “read a book, write a novel” and all that stuff means.

Feel free to PM for nudges but please don’t expect direct answers. Only nudges. :smile:

Pretty fun box but I don’t know why it’s rated medium.

TBH I don’t think it needs to be difficult to be rated medium. This one focuses on core enumeration and research skills vs just using tools. We have to do some things manually to get access (but if we could have used tools, then prob it would have been easy rated). I think the number of steps taken also is part of the reason that it is medium .

@AviusX said:

Rooted. Pretty fun box but I don’t know why it’s rated medium. It’s one of the easiest boxes active rn.
This is always subjective. If you know the steps needed to root a box, it is easy.

As @Fr0sty9 said, it’s largely down to what you need to do. The more customisation the harder the box. (In general)

If this is EASY, then how would you rate a box on which you could get root just by running linpeas ?

@TazWake I guess I know what you mean. I probably just compare too much. Like if I were to compare this to SneakyMailer, which had really long and fairly ‘new’ or ‘unique’ steps required to get to user, this seems like a piece of cake.
I usually find the user rated difficulty ratings to be far more accurate than the official ratings.

If this is EASY, then how would you rate a box on which you could get root just by running linpeas ?

xD yeah this is right. I dunno, this is why HTB is getting reputation for being less and less beginner friendly. Because even easy level boxes you have to do a bunch of manual stuff. At least that was my experience recently

@AviusX said:

@TazWake I guess I know what you mean. I probably just compare too much. Like if I were to compare this to SneakyMailer, which had really long and fairly ‘new’ or ‘unique’ steps required to get to user, this seems like a piece of cake.
I usually find the user rated difficulty ratings to be far more accurate than the official ratings.

Yeah - that can be better but only when you get a lot of ratings. There are people who rate insane boxes a 1 and I’ve no idea why…

You can also use things like the number of user/root owns. If it is <30 after more than two months (Rope Two) you know it is stupidly hard. If it is > 1000 in the first week, it is probably fairly straightforward (not necessarily easy).