Official Passage Discussion

Hey! finally rooted it after hours. And mainly by finding a super helpful article by an accident :smiley:

Could anybody pm me pls what the correct approach was (rooting phase)? I mean mainly the hints “Stay at home”, “read a novel”, etc. It did not help me at all. Even after rooting the machine I don’t get these hints

But overall I enjoyed it. Thanks! :slight_smile:

Spoiler Removed

@maurotambo

Brute-forcing isn’t the way. Just read some articles in google about the WebPage.

Rooted . Easy box. PM for help!

in case anyone is stuck where I was: try

sed ‘s/[[:blank:]]*$//’

i am actually really confused for user 2 looked at so much stuff, but no result. Any hints?

Type your comment> @LegendHacker said:

i am actually really confused for user 2 looked at so much stuff, but no result. Any hints?

What is a file that could belong to another user?

Type your comment> @limelight said:

What is a file that could belong to another user?

used the find command but still nothing interesting :frowning:

(Quote)

Don’t look at ownership. Look at contents.

(Quote)

Don’t look at ownership. Look at contents.

I don’t get it lol

Im stuck after getting the reverse shell. Can somebody give me a hint where to search for getting the access to one of the users?

Rooted. I got the foothold nice and quick then found the required details for the next user… only to not use it and forget I’d found it. Got there eventually.
Feel free to PM for pointers.

Deleted.

Genuinely enjoyable box and pleased that I could make progress after about 8 hours of total fail on laser.

The flow is fairly methodological. Enumeration (as always) is key and public exploits get things started.

It’s a good box to practice copying files off and scripting translations between encoding.

Got Root :slight_smile:
For the root flag, wouldn’t be able to do it without the hints in the Forum.
And even so, was looking for the wrong PRIV for hours :smiley:

Rooted. idk what people are talking about read a book or a novel or whatever, and I don’t get how the name of the box plays into the rooting method. Maybe I missed something, lol.

Otherwise, not too easy, not too hard, just right.

@pizzapower said:

I don’t get how the name of the box plays into the rooting method.

Box names can mean lots of things, it isn’t that common for them to relate to root specifically. Magic and Quick for example were both named as a hint to the initial foothold.

Sometimes it is even just the name of a website hosted on the target machine.

But yeah, on this box I am not sure what the name is related to.

Rooted yesterday. Fun box! PM for nuggets. Let me know what you tried first though :wink:

Rooted!

PM for nudges

I got a shell and i found h***es.txt file but the content is super messed up and none of those hashes seems to be crackable… any nudges?