Official Mission Pinpossible Discussion

I can’t figure out the file format and what software can read it. Can anyone help?

@GenIntel said:
I can’t figure out the file format and what software can read it. Can anyone help?

The LOGICDATA is a file which contains electric pulses. I use Saleae Logic to interpret and see the information. It is kind of powerful, but I do not know if other tools are needed for reaching the flag.

@BlackVS said:
Was fun %) Hints to whom stuck at csv: you see some data transferred to device. Carefully check given jpeg image and identify/google carefully all devices on it. Next - google for how sent via i** interface data converted to the signals on main device. After just decode data on pins according to the datasheet %)) Sounds hard but it is really easy. Or if you have exactly the same hardware just sent bitstream to it ^)))) (I haven’t and had to decode little bit using python) PS: I think that my hint does not violate rules? If after this hint somebody still stuck - pm me, I will give proper link which includes all needed initial data (in Russian but I think google translate will help)

I have interpreted and analyzed the LOGICDATA file, but how do I know what the information sent is used for?
I thought reading the Arduino libraries for the protocol used would be useful, but lots of garbage is inserted in the stream as far as the C file shows (between initialization and sending stuff there are lots of packets, for example).

Well, as @opt1kz said, I have very much enjoyed this challenge being my first attempt at hardware hacking. My advice is this: just use the picture and read about some bus and some LCD controller. After that, make sure to identify the pins and what they do, and write a simple python script to decode the whole thing.

A really good introduction to hardware hacking, I think.

can someone please confirm if the flag for this challenge respects this format? HTB{password}
I’ve written several python scripts to try different approaches, but i’m currently stuck with byte interpretation, should be very straight forward but i think there is something i’m missing…

Type your comment> @marcos10soares said:

can someone please confirm if the flag for this challenge respects this format? HTB{password}
I’ve written several python scripts to try different approaches, but i’m currently stuck with byte interpretation, should be very straight forward but i think there is something i’m missing…

I confirm that.

Is possible to get the flag with the Software of logic An… or the right path is write my own python script?

As like many of you, able to convert the data with the right analyzer… exported via .csv for further analysis, but I’m totally lost. The datasheet for the LCD device is no help to me (or I have no clue how to interpret it). Anyone have any helpful nudges? Thanks!

Type your comment> @socialkas said:

Type your comment> @marcos10soares said:

I confirm that.

wasn’t easy for a beginner like me, but it was fun

Finally got it after 2 days of research!
I don’t know if it’s possible to avoid writing a script
But basically all the hints already mentioned in the forum are super helpful (Thx @BlackVS for the hints)

Type your comment> @BlackVS said:

Was fun %) Hints to whom stuck at csv: you see some data transferred to device. Carefully check given jpeg image and identify/google carefully all devices on it. Next - google for how sent via i** interface data converted to the signals on main device. After just decode data on pins according to the datasheet %)) Sounds hard but it is really easy. Or if you have exactly the same hardware just sent bitstream to it ^)))) (I haven’t and had to decode little bit using python) PS: I think that my hint does not violate rules? If after this hint somebody still stuck - pm me, I will give proper link which includes all needed initial data (in Russian but I think google translate will help)

Hi, can you share additional links about datasheets, it seems that I can’t find proper one because I can’t convert data properly… TNX

I loved this one. I got frustrated so I started throwing bits together in a python script, but once I saw the H T B { blah } snippets I got excited. The Saleae hint from @n3m3516 got me going on the right track.

My hint: Make a python script, but don’t use the raw file unless you really think you know how it works. Get Saleae out and figure it out from there. See if you can get the python script to print values as binary or hex and try to remove redundancy.

My hint> @n3m3516 said:

@GenIntel said:

The LOGICDATA is a file which contains electric pulses. I use Saleae Logic to interpret and see the information. It is kind of powerful, but I do not know if other tools are needed for reaching the flag.

I have gotten the data in hex but now am lost. i have little knowledge of how the 1** data is used to display text on the lcd. any hints/help would be appreciated

All hints were helpful. I had incorrectly looked at the data as code but now as just logic data as stated. I used as logic analyzer to convert the data but still I got no idea how to interpret or decode it. (In the future I’ll take a course on programming IOT Raspberry PI). Help.

Without giving too much help, I need a hint about the decode protocol.

Nice and funny one!
Thanks @diogt for this great challenge!!

I have been always interested in the hardware stuff, but never made a serious attempt on it, for one reason or another. But little challenges like this seem like good starting points, at least for me.

I have enjoyed and learned a lot and has caught my attention and aroused my curiosity on the topic again :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Glad you enjoyed it!

I’ve looked at so many data sheets trying to find one where the next move stands out. Could someone PM a link to the Data sheet that they used to decode the bitstream?
I’ve looked at the docs for the i** component and the LCD both and I can’t connect seem to the dots.

I’m a bit lost … I read the logicdata file using an analyzer , read the data through a script emulating the LCD font matrix but it only outputs garbage.
Am I missing a step ?

1.) It’s quite “Logic” to start with a program to open and analyse the .logicdata file. Looking at the Photo it’s obivous which Protocol is being used. Export the data.
2.) In every byte there are two necessary bits which should be set - filter on these bytes.
I really only used the bash commands sed, tr and xxd after the initial data export.

1 Like

F@ck me, that was an easy challenge was it??

Spent the last few days cracking this one. Don’t get me wrong I did enjoy it and learnt a lot but I did not find that easy in the slightest.