Official Passage Discussion

Official discussion thread for Passage. Please do not post any spoilers or big hints.

Hey everyone!

I hope you enjoy the box. As always, please refrain from giving out hints until both First Bloods are taken.

After that, I will be sharing some hints of my own. At that time, feel free to PM me for nudges!

Good luck!

Box lagging so much, getting connection refused and the pages are not charging properly, i think i will miss my first blood attempt

yeah its hard when boxes are newā€¦ lag is unavoidable :frowning:

think i have this one well the user anyway until the lag started, go back to sleep to the country that got up and all decided to go to htb.com haha

GL all

The first time attempting for blood and got the user. Already bloods were gone. :sweat_smile:

Spoiler Removed

@sparkla said:

I donā€™t knowā€¦ this release area is a great innovation, but on both release area and ā€œpublicā€ servers the machine is so hammered that I cannot finish a single gobuster with a small list like quickhits, my nmap quick-scan took longer than other people needed for blood. :expressionless:

In theory, the release arena is unique to you - other people cant be hammering it.

Congratulations to the team usdHeroLab (Login :: Hack The Box :: Penetration Testing Labs) for achieving both First Bloods! Great work

I donā€™t knowā€¦ this release area is a great innovation, but on both release area and ā€œpublicā€ servers the machine is so hammered that I cannot finish a single gobuster with a small list like quickhits, my nmap quick-scan took longer than other people needed for blood. :expressionless:

Maybe bruteforcing isnā€™t the way to go hereā€¦ :smile:

Fun box so far, got user.txt ā€“ working on root but starting to run into dead ends. The ā€˜Very Easyā€™ rating means Iā€™ve probably missed something obvious.

Type your comment> @COSMICTHRILL said:

Fun box so far, got user.txt ā€“ working on root but starting to run into dead ends. The ā€˜Very Easyā€™ rating means Iā€™ve probably missed something obvious.

Same here

@Silky said:

Same here

Iā€™ve moved to second user, but no root yet :slight_smile:

Rooted, more an easy one but great box, thanks for the ride @ChefByzen
From user 2 to root, itā€™s pretty funny how the vuln works.

any hints on root part ???

@offs3cg33k said:

any hints on root part ???

The only thing you need to know is stay at home, itā€™s covid time after all, always better to stay at home and read some book :wink:

Type your comment> @sparkla said:

@TazWake said:
In theory, the release arena is unique to you - other people cant be hammering it.
Thatā€™s what I thoughtā€¦ still Iā€™m getting ā€œunable to connectā€¦ā€ by gobuster and ā€œconnection timeoutā€ by Firefox. Itā€™s works in between and I can see the ā€œnewsā€, then drops dead again. Reset the Release Arena box but it didnā€™t change.

@ChefByzen said:
Maybe bruteforcing isnā€™t the way to go hereā€¦ :smile:
And I wrote ā€œIā€™m doing bruteforcingā€ exactly where? :smile:
Except you call nmap, Nikto or gobuster bruteforcingā€¦

I did read about F2B, so maybe itā€™s ā€œintendedā€ - but usually the ā€œFailā€ means failing on a login attempt not 404s.

Iā€™m not the owner of the box (obviously), but F2B can be configured to detect (and ban) directory brute forcing.

If F2B isnā€™t enough of a hint, you definitely do not need any sort of bruteforcing/fuzzing for initial foothold.

This one is all about the basics IMO.

Rooted. Very very Easy machine.
My hints-

For Foothold: Just look for CVE and try it.
For User 1: Enum on the landing root dir. R0ckYou will rock you.
For User 2: User1 and User2 are very good friends. They share everything.
For User 3: Stay Home and play hide & seek. Google all the way will land you on a good article. :wink:

PM for a little bit cryptic nuggets.

@ChefByzen Thanks for the cool machine. :wink:

Pwned. Great Box. Got stuck unnecessarily at first user, just because I was overlooking.

Thanks @ChefByzen

connection refused