Official Blunder Discussion

Type your comment> @Parker said:

Type your comment> @gluonsrgreat said:

Got Root.

The foothold for this box was just kinda stupid. Maybe its just me and my general distaste for CTFy machines but after I got the initial foothold I was pretty disappointed. the “first part” is fine. However the way to get the "second part " for the initial exploit seemed more of a way to slow down the progress of rooting the box rather than trying to give an example of or teach anyone a concept. Maybe I’m being too harsh about it but It just seemed kinda uninspired on the creators part.

That all being said I actually did like this box after the foothold, user gave you a potential dead end and made you look somewhere else, which I personally like to see. Root took me 2 minutes, but its an easy box so I have no complaints. If it were not for the foothold.
this box would be great for someone who was just learning, because of the general enum concepts.

tl;dr
foothold bad, rest of box good

there are plenty of hints on the forum, but if you need additional help, send me a pm with what you tried so far and I will do my best to help.

props to @gotroot for the foothold nudge

i think the initial foothold was quite good. there is a section of the OSCP that teaches you those exact steps and i enjoyed that it was finally in a HTB machine to do the same.
the next user part took me the longest to find but once i found it the rest was easy.

Knowing this, it makes a ton more sense why this was the way in, and I was definitely wrong when I said the foothold was uninspired. I still don’t like the foothold by any means, but I now understand why its there.