Official Worker Discussion

@ekenas said:
Hi, just wanted to give you guys a little info about worker being so slow. Normally a server such as worker is setup in different tiers in a production environment. This was not possible on HTB since as machine creators we have to put all components into one single machine. Due to this limitation we set a hw spec for worker on which we did all the testing and it actually passed without any issues. Unfortunately there was a hardware cap applied to worker after it was tested. I don’t know why this was applied and it doesn’t really matter. The sad part is that in the end this change made the machine run out of resources (mainly RAM) causing the Sql Server to be exhausted and the web server displaying a couple of 503 errors. This in turn had major effects on the ”portal” as I’m sure most of you have seen.
I really want to point out that when running this type of software in a production environment it is quite fast given the right amount of resources.

After about a week almost 800 ppl have owned worker which is quite good and I hope you did enjoy it. During this time we also have run tests and measurements and have a couple of solutions on how to mitigate the performance issues. Given the fact that still quite a few people have managed to root worker I’m not sure on how HTB will apply these changes or not.

Its an awesome box @ekenas and personally I haven’t experienced any performance issues (yet).
Could be an VIP thing, I am not sure.
Appreciate you tapping in with us and explaining the situations (kudos from me on that) keep up the awesome work :smiley: