Official Intense Discussion

Thanks to @sokafr for uploading this amazing box, the root part of this machine was impossible for me, but thanks to the explanation given by @CHUCHO and @fr0ster I was able to root it

My hints:

User:

• In those types of cases you need to try harder
  • (Shell) Don’t forget the first rule of the Fight Club

Root:

• It’s the first thing you found, research on birds, ropes and don’t give up. I was able to get this part thanks to the help of @CHUCHO and @fr0ster

if this is spoiler, feel free to remove it

Finally! That was an intense machine! Thanks @sokafr for the learning experience. Not even sure where to start with hints as there are about 7 attacks/exploits required here. Happy to give nudges but be required to do some work on this machine.

$ whoami && id && hostname
root
uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root)
intense

Does anybody know if sn**d restart once in a while?

The box seems pretty unstable, dropping connection every 1-2 minutes for 30 sec.
Even after 2 reset same thing…

I’m looking for a nudge on root. I think I’m on the right track, but need some help with the bird.
Update: Past the bird now, hopefully nearly at the end…

i know there is s** but don’t know how to exploit it !! anyone can help me ?? please

Type your comment> @n33r47 said:

i know there is s** but don’t know how to exploit it !! anyone can help me ?? please

Source code and a strong googling will help you out.

@gunroot okk bro i am trying !!!

I’m stuck at square one on this box but I do have some theories but I could do with running them past someone who has completed this box (or at least got user) so I don’t spend the rest of my life chasing red herrings down rabbit holes.

I am stuck on s**p thing !! Timeout: No Response this is the error i am facing

finally got root, what a ride
really struggled with the root part, bc of some stupid mistakes (from now on, i will double check everything :wink: )

thanks to @sokafr for the really great box

finally rooted. definitely the hardest box I’ve done so far, particularly the last part. I learned a lot. thanks @sokafr!

I could use a nudge on the s**i part… i’m having a hard time finding a slow thing that isn’t banned. would appreciate a nudge or being told this is not the way.

It took me some time… but I got root! What a great box! One of my favorites! Thanks @sokafr
If someone needs small a nudge, you can send me a PM :smiley:

■■■ @sokafr
Amazing box, thx for the 7 days of fun.

Found the user flag but struggling to find a way to get to shell. Have essentially enumerated the entire filesystem, but guessing this is way overboard and I’m missing something obvious. Should I be looking further at the original code, something to do with ***.c, or perhaps a key? A nudge in the the right direction would be fantastic.

Got root! User was fun! Root is easy)

Im at the point of getting shell using what found in one place, but methods described in articles and docs I found do no work when I try extending “stuff”. I believe Im on right track, but still receive errors and cannot achieve execution. What am I doing wrong? Hmmm

Type your comment> @m4rc1n said:

Im at the point of getting shell using what found in one place, but methods described in articles and docs I found do no work when I try extending “stuff”. I believe Im on right track, but still receive errors and cannot achieve execution. What am I doing wrong? Hmmm

Double check your syntax or PM for a pointer. :slight_smile:

Type your comment> @gunroot said:

Type your comment> @m9rcin said:

Double check your syntax or PM for a pointer. :slight_smile:

Did not find the right syntax, but managed to get it with a little bit of automation -:wink: