Official Blunder Discussion

I spent ages trying to “cool” this thing but the py file doesn’t work straight out the box. Luckily a good hint helped me find what I needed to get user. Just google what you need to RCE.

Once you get user and you run your enum scripts, root will probably take about 5 minutes. Once you find what you need just “hop along”.

Finally got root, got completely thrown of the simple path to root because of some interesting pictures I found in the user folder. Started looking into an exploit attacking a service on a port… Ah well, learned a ton though

Wowee, first box rooted in months because of being super busy at work due to Covid.

The foothold took me the longest out of any part of that, and root took me literally 10 seconds!
Happy to give spoiler free hints.

Type your comment> @TazWake said:

@comdark said:

Any nudges please, I tried all kind of fuzz tools and I know how to exploit the box beyond the foothold but I can’t figure out the username.

Fuzz for files, not just folders.

@TazWake , thanks for the hint , got it.

anyone help me please i can’t connect with vpn its showing this messege

Tue Jul 28 16:46:00 2020 OpenVPN 2.4.9 x86_64-pc-linux-gnu [SSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [LZ4] [EPOLL] [PKCS11] [MH/PKTINFO] [AEAD] built on Apr 21 2020
Tue Jul 28 16:46:00 2020 library versions: OpenSSL 1.1.1g 21 Apr 2020, LZO 2.10
Tue Jul 28 16:46:00 2020 Outgoing Control Channel Authentication: Using 256 bit message hash ‘SHA256’ for HMAC authentication
Tue Jul 28 16:46:00 2020 Incoming Control Channel Authentication: Using 256 bit message hash ‘SHA256’ for HMAC authentication
Tue Jul 28 16:46:00 2020 TCP/UDP: Preserving recently used remote address: [AF_INET]185.77.152.102:1337
Tue Jul 28 16:46:00 2020 Socket Buffers: R=[212992->212992] S=[212992->212992]
Tue Jul 28 16:46:00 2020 UDP link local: (not bound)

@odvut said:

anyone help me please i can’t connect with vpn its showing this messege

Its best to keep questions about connection to the other areas, this isn’t really related to the box Blunder.

If all else fails, its worth raising a JIRA ticket with HTB to get them to see if they can help - Jira Service Management

At a guess - and I really don’t know much here - I’d say it looks like the ovpn config file you are using is incorrect.

Nice box, learnt a new privesc exploit!

Foothold: enumerate very well, find vulnerable software and information to access it, smart guess creds, exploit
User: enumerate well on the inside. Where are creds typically found?
Root: enumerate yet again, Google what looks strange

Feel free to DM for more specific hints.

Stuck on user. I found three password hashes - two of them had salts and one is missing the salt entry. Is that the way it should be or did someone mess with the machine?

@0xRand0m said:

Stuck on user. I found three password hashes - two of them had salts and one is missing the salt entry. Is that the way it should be or did someone mess with the machine?

You might be going in the wrong direction. Enumerate what your account can do.

@0xRand0m said:

You might be going in the wrong direction. Enumerate what your account can do.

Thanks for the tip! I will do that.

I think my previous question was poorly written. I meant that I am stuck getting user - not that I have user.
So I’d like to repeat the question: should all three hashes have salts?

@0xRand0m said:

I think my previous question was poorly written. I meant that I am stuck getting user - not that I have user.
So I’d like to repeat question: should all three hashes have salts?

Ok - sorry, I misunderstood.

I cant say too much without hitting a massive spoiler, but I would take time to fully enumerate to find one which is different than the others. You might need to use an online station to crack this as I dont think any of the default wordlists will help you.

I see. Thanks again!
In this thread some people called the hashes easily crackable - this threw me off it seems.

@0xRand0m said:

I see. Thanks again!
In this thread some people called the hashes easily crackable - this threw me off it seems.

With hindsight, the hash you need to crack is super easy to crack. It just doesn’t look easy when you face the other way!

If you are still stuck, drop me a PM for more specifics.

I got it :smiley:
Using an online service did the trick. I always use hashcat on my local machine for cracking - that now seems kinda stupid ;p

@0xRand0m said:

I got it :smiley:
Using an online service did the trick. I always use hashcat on my local machine for cracking - that now seems kinda stupid ;p

Nah, 99% of the time that works fine - just remember if it doesn’t, try something else.

Hi, Im trying to exploit the vulnerability here with both the one “pre-made” and one downloaded but I get this message when using check “The target is not exploitable”. And when I try to exploit it, I get this message “Exploit failed: An exploitation error occurred.”.

What could be wrong here?

Im 99.9999% sure I filled in all params right. I checked and checked again

@GooseSthlm said:

Hi, Im trying to exploit the vulnerability here with both the one “pre-made” and one downloaded but I get this message when using check “The target is not exploitable”. And when I try to exploit it, I get this message “Exploit failed: An exploitation error occurred.”.

The messages imply something is wrong, so you need to work through everything and validate it again. I know that sounds frustrating, but the error message is telling you something isn’t right and we cant see whats on your screen.

Common issues are things like the path chosen, credentials used, payload.

If you really arent sure, try changing them one at a time. Try using known bad value to see if it changes the outcome. Etc.

@GooseSthlm said:

The messages imply something is wrong, so you need to work through everything and validate it again. I know that sounds frustrating, but the error message is telling you something isn’t right and we cant see whats on your screen.

Common issues are things like the path chosen, credentials used, payload.

If you really arent sure, try changing them one at a time. Try using known bad value to see if it changes the outcome. Etc.

Ill give it another try and get back here to let you know.
Gonna take a break for lunch first to get some nrg back haha

I was looking at this box again after rooting when it came out . Was anyone able to get RCE on this box without using MSF? I have been looking at the .py code and have got RCE with certain commands but not others that would provide a stable shell.