Passed OSCP And One Advices

Hi,
Just received email today from OSCP saying I passed the exam. There are plenty of good advice regarding knowledge and skills on this or other forum and I won’t repeat them here. But I have one non-technical suggestions from my own experience and hope it can help other guys.
Don’t hesitate to revert the machine when you feel confident about your exploit code should work. As I rarely reverted the machines in HTB, that habit almost killed me in the exam. I spent almost 3 hours working on my last machine as my exploit code doesn’t work, so I spent all the precious hours to look for and test other exploits. As the last resort, I reverted the machine and found the previous exploit code works!

Also, a big shout out to 21y4d, and I used his nmapAnimator script in the exam, it saved me a lot of time.

Lastly, hope you guys all pass the exam very soon!

Cheers,

From Offsec’s FAQ

Can I record my screen when taking the exam?

No. We do not allow students to video record their screen while it is interacting with any of our exam machines.

Any screen recording will display the content of our exam machines which is our confidential information and intellectual property. This information could be used by a third party to help them understand our exam machines and to pass the exam in breach of our Academic Policy. Sharing that information is also in breach of our Academic Policy.

You can take screenshots and copy data to the extent needed for your exam or lab report.

Better advise would be to read the exam guide and the FAQ carefully so you do not get disqualified…

Thanks for GPLO pointed out. That’s good point!

Thanks for sharing. I added nmapAnimator to my tools arsanal. I plan to take this exam soon and i really want to pass on first try.

@jimmyzhang what kind of programming experience do you have? I failed the test first go around in 2018. I paid for the new course upgrade and bought lab time but I keep rescheduling the exam. I don’t want to fail again. What did you use to prep besides the coursework and lab?

Type your comment> @jimmyzhang said:

Hi,
Just received email today from OSCP saying I passed the exam. There are plenty of good advice regarding knowledge and skills on this or other forum and I won’t repeat them here. But I have one non-technical suggestions from my own experience and hope it can help other guys.
Don’t hesitate to revert the machine when you feel confident about your exploit code should work. As I rarely reverted the machines in HTB, that habit almost killed me in the exam. I spent almost 3 hours working on my last machine as my exploit code doesn’t work, so I spent all the precious hours to look for and test other exploits. As the last resort, I reverted the machine and found the previous exploit code works!

Also, a big shout out to 21y4d, and I used his nmapAnimator script in the exam, it saved me a lot of time.

Lastly, hope you guys all pass the exam very soon!

Cheers,

Thank you for sharing the experience

A highly worth while and recommended experience. I suggest keeping calm and just pretend it’s another day in the labs, you’ve done the work, you’re gonna make it - I mean…Who doesnt love a 24 hour straight hackathon? Programming experience is good when it comes to scripting, sometimes I like to automate things just to make the process faster. Alot of medium - hard hacktheboxes already teach you this.