Official Blunder Discussion

Type your comment> @TazWake said:

@mechs85 said:

So do I need to do this manually, or is there something in the python script that I am missing?

I never managed a manual exploit here but I found MSF very effective.

Thanks, I did it manually in the end.

Now trying to crack hash

@mechs85 said:

Thanks, I did it manually in the end.

Now trying to crack hash

Awesome. Good luck.

All done on this box now.

Tips:

Foothold:
Enumerate properly, gobuster, dirb, dirbuster, etc
Don’t be too Cewl for school
.py route may not work, so take 10 mins and understand the exploit. Use the same methodology and you’ll get it.

User:
Think you found it? Maybe, if you feel like you’re going crazy, stop. Look around again

Root:
Google what looks weird. Not seen this exploit before, but it’s eye-opening. But very very easy

Hey, I’ve done the box but now I’m tyring to get this done manually, I think I know everything thats is needed to do it but I can’t get code execution my files are one server in directory i can find it in browser following the path but when I pass args to file nothing happening, obviously I’m doing something wrong but I don’t know what. Could someone help me with that?
Edit: Nevermind, of course just when I give up I learned that my access file need one additional new line at the end.
So I did it, I’ve done it manually and automatic way. Takes my whole like 3-5h but Im noob so for my it is quite good time. Super fun for me especially first step. Root was easy because I did know about this, and now first what I’m doing is check that. :smile: overall fun box for me

I had a ton of fun, and learned even more on this on this box!! Thank you.

My question is how do I give respect to someone if they helped me out? I can’t seem to figure out where or how I do that to a user account.

Thank you to all the hint providers in this thread, the box creator @egotisticalSW and especially to @TazWake for the extra nudges to get me across the finish line!

Hello, can someone PM me to explain what to do for the initial foothold?

finally rooted, getting foothold was fun part after that its easy.

Having a lot of trouble getting the shell manually. I’m aware of the POCs and I think it’s pretty clear what they are doing. My problem is this: I send a request to upload an image with an acceptable file extension. I capture that request in burp and change the file and it’s contents in an effort to upload a new .htac**** file. Despite the fact that I capture the request in burp, when I forward the modified request on, the app still responds that I can only upload files with specific extensions, which tells me this validation is happening on the server. If that’s the case, how are people getting this new file uploaded?

Rooted!

That was actually really interesting a great box to learn some basics, tune my eyes and thought process in, this was the first box I’ve looked at in detail since going through starting Point and it took me probably 7 hours split over a few sessions, largely due to unfamiliarity of tools, Yes others have done it quicker but as someone who has just completed their first box, I was more then happy.

For those that are stuck feel free to pm and I’ll try and lightly point you in the right direction if you tell me what you’ve tried and what you’ve found etc. I’ll admit, there was a few times i felt like shouting out for help but glad i stuck with it and I’ll re-iterate what others have said previously

If you read this forum post carefully all the information you need for every step is listed.

Footholding was a tad tricky, i spotted what i needed to do instantly but doing it took a bit of time cobbling together.

Beware of rabbit holes, I fell into more than one or two.

With the right tool / script / CVE / Knowledge; Each stage could be completed within 10-15 minutes so if what your doing is trying to take longer you’re probably doing something wrong.

hey guys. I’m very stuck with login. I think i have the correct user “f…” but i don’t know how i can get the password. I’ve read i have to do my own wordlist but don’t have luck. Am I on the correct path with the user? Someone can tell me any hint to get the password?

Have issue with msf…
Here my log:
[] Started reverse TCP handler on 10.10.14.187:4444
[+] Logged in as: ******
[
] Retrieving UUID…
[] Uploading XnmMCeRUYz.png…
[
] Uploading .htaccess…
[] Executing XnmMCeRUYz.png…
[!] This exploit may require manual cleanup of ‘.htaccess’ on the target
[
] Exploit completed, but no session was created.

@herrlestrate said:

Have issue with msf…

This gets asked every few days. I don’t have an answer because I never experienced this issue. Generally, it means things like the payload needs to be changed.

I keep running into this issue in metasploit module, if somone could help me out, i would greatly appreciate it

I have censored the spoilers

I keep running into this issue

Started reverse TCP handler on 192.168.43.183:4444
Retrieving UUID…
Uploading vqBjNbYrIS.png…
Uploading .htaccess…
Executing vqBjNbYrIS.png…
[*] Exploit completed, but no session was created.

Someone please help me. I am new to htb

Type your comment> @Archangel78 said:

I keep running into this issue in metasploit module, if somone could help me out, i would greatly appreciate it

Retrieving UUID…
Uploading .htaccess…

Check your LHOST IP

I have seen that many people here are using MSF module to exploit the vulnerability. You can choose that as your wish.
But many are not configuring LHOST properly. Check options before exploit.

Spoiler Removed

Type your comment> @Archangel78 said:

Retrieving UUID…
Uploading .htaccess…

Hey bud. Welcome to HTB.

You should consider your VPN IP address instead of LAN IP address for anything inside HTB.
Your tun0 (VPN) IP address will be something like 10.10.14.xx .
Use that in your msf options instead of 192.168.xx.xx . You can do that.
Good luck :wink:

Type your comment> @hackgineer said:

My question is how do I give respect to someone if they helped me out? I can’t seem to figure out where or how I do that to a user account.

Did you try finding the user account in hackthebox site (not the forum) ?
If you click on “Member Finder” in the top right corner, just fill in the name and search for user… then, in his profile the first button under his name is: “Give Respect”
Hope it helps :slight_smile: respect

Rooted, foothold and user are nice, root super ez.
PM for nudges

Okey, actually rooted. Good service for noobs (like me).

If you have trouble with MSF - check your iptables. Maybe your iptables block any INPUT connections. (i had the same problem).