IOT, Shodan and public networks

The “threat” from group 2 largely depends on how the wifi is set up. If it is firewalled then there is a good chance an entirely internet-based attacker will never know your device exists. Simply hosting a webserver isn’t enough, you’d need to modify the firewall to route port 80 to your device.

Yeah. That’s the basic assumption I took myself: no port forwarding, device not visible… but then I started questioning that. Hence this ‘experiment’ to see if I’m overlooking something.

Threat group 1, however, are different - but it still depends on how the WLAN is configured. It may be possible to do an nmap scan and find every device connected but that WiFi config is becoming rare.

Yeah, I was wondering about that. My networking s*xx donkeyballs to know enough about that.

Based on my own IP, how would I know what range to scan to see other devices connected to that public network?

You say there are mechanisms to prevent scanning devices on the same (public) network. Can you say something about that?

It if is an entirely passive device it is harder to spot but WiFi is noisy. So if someone is simply sniffing wireless packets, they have a very good chance of inferring the device’s existence and then, with its IP address known, scanning becomes easier.

That’s actually a very interesting remark you make… I never took the beakons into account.
What you are saying is that even if some can’t scan the devices on the public network, someone within range could find my ip by monitoring the beakoning traffic, right?

Would my IP then be of use, as in reachable, to anyone on that same public network?

…I guess I really need some networking course sometime soon. So much to learn, though…