Official RopeTwo Discussion

@sparkla said:

There go my dreams of “having a chance because everyone else gave up”.

And there they are completely gone, now :smiley:
Box has been rooted (in an unintended way, though) :wink:

@HomeSen said:

Unintended ways are my favourite way. They give me hope being able to do it…

@TazWake said:

@HomeSen said:

Unintended ways are my favourite way. They give me hope being able to do it…

They just fixed it, and are now rolling out new machines.
Meanwhile, I am reading blog posts about “Careful children’s shoes” (translated by Chrome from Chinese to English), without really knowing what Chrome is trying to tell me by that :smiley:

I love it that one person rated root difficulty as “Piece of cake” :smiley:

Type your comment> @bigFish43 said:

I love it that one person rated user and root difficulty as “Piece of cake” :smiley:

lol, so the box is from a scale of piece of cake to brain ■■■■.

For 2 days now I have been looking for ways to attack the box, but there is no result. I will be very glad to any hints. Never sat 2 days without a foothold

@GreyParzival said:

For 2 days now I have been looking for ways to attack the box, but there is no result. I will be very glad to any hints. Never sat 2 days without a foothold

Check what the box has to offer, compile it, and then you’ll probably have to research a lot about the topic :wink:

The foothold is really hard, but well worth the effort for how rewarding it is. The step to user however looks like a whole other level. I’m going to be here a while lol.
Edit: For anyone starting out, the best tip I can give is: Ubuntu, fetch, revert, patch, compile

@sparkla said:

@HomeSen said:
Check what the box has to offer, compile it, and then you’ll probably have to research a lot about the topic :wink:

Your comment saved me a week and at least 5k grey hair.

Don’t make my mistakes and try to compile on Kali. I at least miss some build packages and need to start over completely…

I used a freshly installed Debian 10 VM for that (with 4 vCores and 8GB of RAM) and it took ~30mins (plus the time to install and configure Debian and the according packages)

Man i’m sweating just from seeing the stats on that box.

Can a difficulty level HIGHER than brainfuck be added to the options? :wink: This is the seventh day this box has been available, and only 6 people have gained root… ■■■■.

Type your comment> @ricm916 said:

Can a difficulty level HIGHER than brainfuck be added to the options? :wink: This is the seventh day this box has been available, and only 6 people have gained root… ■■■■.

and they gained root using unintended method lol

@sazouki said:

Type your comment> @ricm916 said:

and they gained root using unintended method lol

Nope. @sampriti gained root the intended way :wink:

@HomeSen said:

Yup. Its a genuine shame the bloods weren’t reset. One blood in a week is pretty impressive (and very offputting).

That said, even the unintended way took days. It’s looking more and more likely that I’ll wait for the Ippsec video…

Ippsec’s probably sweating hard right now. “i only have 6 months to root it” :cold_sweat:

@lebutter said:

Ippsec’s probably sweating hard right now. “i only have 6 months to root it” :cold_sweat:

That genuinely made me laugh out loud.

I agree.

@TazWake said:

@HomeSen said:

Yup. Its a genuine shame the bloods weren’t reset. One blood in a week is pretty impressive (and very offputting).

That said, even the unintended way took days. It’s looking more and more likely that I’ll wait for the Ippsec video…

Well, after 6 days, I can finally say that I have popped a shell. But as it seems, the pain and suffering will only increase from here :smiley:
But I also already learned a ton, while getting this first step. Thank you, @R4J, for making me learn all that stuff :slight_smile:

@HomeSen said:

Well, after 6 days, I can finally say that I have popped a shell. But as it seems, the pain and suffering will only increase from here :smiley:
But I also already learned a ton, while getting this first step. Thank you, @R4J, for making me learn all that stuff :slight_smile:

Awesome work!

Got user :slight_smile:

Insane box. Hardest one on HTB easily.

Easily the hardest box I’ve ever done (well, just user). Definitely worth the time and effort though.