Do you know my friend - izzie?

Hey, everyone.

I haven’t been around here for six months or so (I ended up landing a job in a related field), so I have no idea if anyone reading this even recognizes my name anymore. Either way, it’s good to be back.

As the title of my post states, I’m looking for my friend. He suddenly dropped off the radar after many months of talking for hours every single day and I have no idea what happened to him. I’m worried about him, to say the least.

He was also a member here and I’m hoping against hope that maybe, just maybe someone reading this knows him and/or has a way of contacting him that I’m not aware of.

Anyway, this is him:

https://www.hackthebox.eu/profile/47079

In case anyone finds this suspicious (though I don’t know why you would), I can provide screenshots of he and I interacting on NetSec Focus, IRC, twitter, etc going back many, many months.

I just want to find my buddy and make sure he’s okay. :frowning:

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this.

@opt1kz said:

Hey, everyone.

I haven’t been around here for six months or so (I ended up landing a job in a related field), so I have no idea if anyone reading this even recognizes my name anymore. Either way, it’s good to be back.

I certainly recognise your name and it is really good to see you back here!

He was also a member here and I’m hoping against hope that maybe, just maybe someone reading this knows him and/or has a way of contacting him that I’m not aware of.

Sadly I don’t know @izzie so I cant add anything other than it seems like the last time they logged in was December. I am sorry I can’t be more help.

Hopefully keeping this bumped will find someone who knows them - or they might get an email saying they’ve been mentioned!

In short - glad you are back, sorry it’s not the best of circumstances.

I recall that dog dp :).

Desperate bump. He had an IRC connection open from a VPN for months that would always come back after a disconnect. It’s been silent for months, but it was at least there. It gave me a little bit of hope that maybe he just forgot and would come back one day. Well, it finally dropped out for good this time… :frowning:

I can only hope he or someone else he knows sees this. I don’t know what else to do.

And thanks for the kind words @TazWake. I’m sorry for not responding until now. I’ve been a little busy.

@opt1kz said:

And thanks for the kind words @TazWake. I’m sorry for not responding until now. I’ve been a little busy.

No worries - you dont have to apologise and I’d never expect a specific response. I will keep trying to bump this as well.

I hope this all turns out OK. Fingers crossed.

Bumping for visibility

@opt1kz any chance he is on LinkedIN, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram (or any other social medias?)
Might be something to check and see for latest activities (pending on their privacy settings of course).

@acidbat I have his twitter, but it is quite barren. His last tweet was ~20 months ago and it was just him giving an article I wrote a shoutout. Nothing since then.

I’ve tried like ■■■■ to find other social media pages of his, but I’m pretty sure the “real name” I know him by is in fact just a pseudonym (he was always very cautious and concerned about his privacy). He sent me pictures of his pets every once in a while and I’ve checked the EXIF data in those images which has, of course, been sanitized.

Basically, I’ve applied every single trick I’ve ever learned here and elsewhere, and they’ve all yielded absolutely nothing. The dude wanted to be a ghost and succeeded, I guess. I can appreciate/respect that, of course, and if we’d gotten into an argument or something and he said, “You know what, dude? I don’t want to talk to you anymore. Leave me alone.” I would accept that and move on.

But he just… Disappeared. Abruptly and without warning. After talking to me every day for hours and hours, for months and months.

I hate to “say this out loud”, but I think something happened to him and, if nothing else, I’d like to get a little closure and at least be able tell his wife and kids what an awesome guy he was or something. I don’t know. :frowning:

Sorry for the wall of “dear diary” rambling.

Interesting subject, I would really like you to find him.
If he is so causes, maybe he had some involves on DW, have you tried some forums there?

@opt1kz said:

IMHO you should never apologise for caring for people. I really hope this has a happy ending.

Type your comment> @TazWake said:

@opt1kz said:

IMHO you should never apologise for caring for people. I really hope this has a happy ending.

Exactly - fingers crossed buddy

Hope you find him! It’s terrible to experience something like this, I’ve definetely been there.

Just pushing this back to the top.

I’m sorry, I can’t help you finding your friend as I’m a new person here. I know how it feels when losing a friend.

But I wish you from my bottom heart to find your friend soon. :slight_smile: Be happy and healthy.

Bump. Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

I remember you @opt1kz and Izzie. Read your posts (and Izzie’s) often. I took a long break last year, as well like you (took a course), so hopefully it is the same scenario and Izzie returns soon.

Ain’t you a Hacker :wink:

Pushing this on top, hope that everything will be okay!

Bumping back up.

I remember speaking with you over a year ago here on the forum regarding some active machines. We never got into any personal conversation, but it was nice to exchange thoughts back and forth with you and learn more about your process. I’ll keep an eye out for your friend and do what I can in my free time to scope him out. All the best, man.