NIbbles

new to this and this is the first box iv’e tried. Got user pretty easy but stuck on what i feel is the very last step in privesc…

got the user in a full shell
I’m running the .sh file but cant figure out how to ‘step in’ as its executing to grab the root user. i tried passing it to bash “./XXXXXXX.sh bash” bit i get “TERM environment variable not set.”. though maybe write a new file to replace the existing one with a exploit but dont have write permissions in vi. though maybe i can pass the executing script to another shell but i have no idea how…

really ran out of ideas now so any help is massively appreciated! loving it so far though!

I’m in the same boat now, I have user and a reasonable shell. I just get kicked off every 3-4 mins by people restarting and I’m not sure yet how to get root.

still stuck on finding shell… any clues? maybe ive found it and just didnt realize. please help me out!

JOk3Rxvi, if you have the username and password then you should be able to use a known exploit to get a shell.

I’m giving up for the evening on /root/root.txt - I just can’t think anymore. :angry:

I got the username and password, and I know the exploit (i think) however when I get a shell I cannot type any commands. Any chance someone could help me understand what I am doing wrong? Wont lie, im a noob.

@UN1X00 said:
JOk3Rxvi, if you have the username and password then you should be able to use a known exploit to get a shell.

I’m giving up for the evening on /root/root.txt - I just can’t think anymore. :angry:

i dont know the username and password… thats what i need help finding… :confused:

AnyOne can help with this:

su: must be run from a terminal

@jc1396 said:

@dvnv said:
i found what i need to find to get root.txt… clearly should be able to use it to elevate. however, when trying to utilize what i found with the proper permissions, i’m seeing this:

“: unable to resolve host Nibbles: Connection timed out
: no tty present and no askpass program specified”

any ideas here? nothing i’ve been able to do, reading up on ttys, has been able to get this to work.

Same here…WTF?

found any solution for this problem

@g1ant372 said:
@MrChrisWeinert @dvnv @jc1396
Any luck with the TTY issue when trying sudo?

I feel this is the last thing to get root. But may be a common fix as i saw the same issue in Bashed, but didn’t end up needing it.

PM me if needed.

i am having this same issue. need help

Could someone help me out in PM if you have a minute?
I’ve edited the monitor.sh and tried catting the contents of root.txt to a temp file but got permission denied on cat.

Also tried nc to pass a root shell but that didnt seem to do anything

@J3rryBl4nks said:
I got user.txt. Trying to find creds to ssh as the user instead of the meterpreter shell. Is that necessary?

No.

stuck on getting root, can anyone help with what I need to edit the file with please?

@Lukee505 said:
Could someone help me out in PM if you have a minute?
I’ve edited the monitor.sh and tried catting the contents of root.txt to a temp file but got permission denied on cat.

Also tried nc to pass a root shell but that didnt seem to do anything

Enumerate the machine more - LinEnum.sh tells you what you need to know

Do people keep changing the user creds? I was able to login about 30 minutes ago. Then whilst I was working on something the box got reset. I go to log on to try and get a shell and the creds don’t work anymore.

@bugzy said:

@g1ant372 said:
@MrChrisWeinert @dvnv @jc1396

I feel this is the last thing to get root. But may be a common fix as i saw the same issue in Bashed, but didn’t end up needing it.

PM me if needed.

easily got the user.txt. Just ran the LinEnum and found the monitor.sh, i got stuck here and have no idea how to get the root

@Evilbae1412 said:
@bugzy said:

@g1ant372 said:
  @MrChrisWeinert  @dvnv @jc1396 

I feel this is the last thing to get root. But may be a common fix as i saw the same issue in Bashed, but didn't end up needing it.

PM me if needed.

easily got the user.txt. Just ran the LinEnum and found the monitor.sh, i got stuck here and have no idea how to get the root

Have you tried interacting with monitor.sh?

I spent more time on getting the user creds than I spent going from that point to getting root. The obvious bit passed me by.

Once I had a shell it took some will power to not use the things that were appearing in the file system as I was working out the privesc.

@impetuousdanny said:

@Evilbae1412 said:
@bugzy said:

@g1ant372 said:
  @MrChrisWeinert  @dvnv @jc1396 

I feel this is the last thing to get root. But may be a common fix as i saw the same issue in Bashed, but didn't end up needing it.

PM me if needed.

Have you tried interacting with monitor.sh?

yeah but same tty error popping up even after setting up interactive terminal

I cannot figure out this password. Have tried many variations of usual things.

Please do not change the account password! Thanks.