HTB x ParrotOS

Hack The Box officially supports the Parrot OS Project! ?

The main goal of the project is to provide a familiar environment to cyber security professionals, developers and people who care about their privacy, by making good habits and best practices easy to follow and eventually hard to break.

Our goal is help the team to focus on what they do best, further developing and adding more functionality and features to the OS.
Furthermore, we will start incorporating the OS to the HTB platform so our users can experience it and provide more feedback towards the success of the project.

Hope you are excited as much as we are and we are waiting for your input!
For all details about this collaboration go here: HTB News | Hack The Box + Parrot OS

awesome

I just installed Parrotsec today :3

Parrot is indeed awesome os

To those who are using it, may i ask what’s worth the switch from Kali ?

Yes. Is it better than kali?

Type your comment> @lebutter said:

I’ve found it to be more stable personally. I’m still hoping that the Parrot devs pursue basing off Devuan in the next version as well.

Fun new way to use an OS

I’ve been seeding the ISO for a while… honestly if you want to beat kali just keep a bunch of helpful .ps1’s organized by purpose somewhere easy to navigate to… and ship stuff like impacket and evil-winrm with it

What are the PRONS/CONS of using parrot besides the hype of it? How does it relate to Kali? Same number of tools? Same distro?

Parrot supposedly runs lighter than Kali by default and so is better for people with potato computers. I haven’t tested this myself, however. Personally, I like Parrot’s UI better. I find it to be more aesthetic.

I switched from Kali to Parrot because it’s not just for pentesting but also for daily usage
Happy to see the project got support from hacktebox

@lebutter said:

@drforbin said:
Yes. Is it better than kali?

Kali has gotten very bloated. That’s why in their latest release they also did a cleanup of the packages included.
ParrotOS is nice because you can easily install a package-group specific for pentesting, web, forensics, mobile, …
I also have the feeling it runs a lot smoother than Kali did in the past.

Also, ParrotOS is non-root by default. While Kali (in the past) did everything as root, which is just a no-no in the security field.
You’ll curse this a few times (e.g. installing tools in /opt/ will require sudo each time), but in the end it’s just best practice to run as non-admin as much as possible.

ParrotOS is also a nice OS for daily usage, as @CanTchaSee pointed out.
I love working on my ParrotOS box even for casual browsing and programming

kali
???

Are there any plans to have the possibility to download the HTB Theme for Parrot OS?

what about Kali Linux ???

I used kali at first, but its interface was not entirely intuitive for me, so looking to get to a parrot and the truth is comfortable, stable and functional. It is useful to me as a workstation, and for pentest testing it is ideal.

Now I use Parrot KDE Plasma and its interface is clean and fast, 100% recommended, if it is better or worse than Kali, the truth is for everyone. You can also use a normal ubuntu and load the tools by hand one by one (or by batch), the idea is to see what is most comfortable for you.

Type your comment> @SanAbbas said:

Are there any plans to have the possibility to download the HTB Theme for Parrot OS?

I am looking for this aswell. The theme used by IppSec in his videos is just gorgeous. Kinda like the HTB theme for vscode.

@SanAbbas said:

I find that:

Discussion:

I downloaded and installed Parrot on Virtualbox. I’ll admit, I’ve gotten use to using root on just about everything from using Kali.
How much are you using sudo in ParrotOS to run basic enumeration software (nmap, gobuster, burp, etc.) ?