Bloodhound / Sharphound - How is this used?

ahh ok I figured it out.

I needed to install the the Python based ingestor for bloodhound which can be found here:

The after running the pip install I now can use the bloodhound-python command. Lets see if it works!

Turns out my install of Kali is borked. It didn’t work. Had to spin up a phresh Kali VM and run it from there. Worked fine. Python is a pain in the ■■■■ when it doesn’t work.

Type your comment> @NeoCortex2000 said:

Turns out my install of Kali is borked. It didn’t work. Had to spin up a phresh Kali VM and run it from there. Worked fine. Python is a pain in the ■■■■ when it doesn’t work.

I’ve installed ldap3, impacket, and dnspython and I for some reason cannot get this bloodhound-python command to work. at first it was just “required digestmod” error and now it gives me import errors “:cannot import name PyAsn1UnicodeDecodeError”

I was getting that digestmod error as well. I can’t really help you with fixing it other than to deploy a whole new VM and build of Kali. I have about 6 or 7 versions of python installed and something is screwed in the python config. Sometimes other python apps have issues as well.

Im left marginally frustrated with this as I want one machine (my laptop) to be able to do everything I need.

If you fix it please do share the solution as I am faced with rebuilding the laptop if a solution doesn’t come along.

I recommend doing/following along the box “Forest”. There is a video online where someone uses it to work through a box and they give a pretty good explanation on what it does.

Would love to see a walkthrough of this box WITHOUT using bloodhound…

Type your comment> @Ja4V8s28Ck said:

So speaking of Bloodhound it’s just a domain mapping tool, and sharphound is the tool to collect information when running in the victim’s machine to map the domain as this is complex for beginners to use, ppl made a new ingestor which is in python which will run the attacker machine itself to collect the mapping data, but when i was doing pathfinder, i tried the python bloodhound but it dint work(the json were created but couldnt map it), so i went old school
When you say you went old school; what did you do?
I am having no luck with Bloodhound, fresh install of kali and getting “Missing required parameter ‘digestmod’”

there is an known Python 3 problem Issue 33604: HMAC default to MD5 marked as to be removed in 3.6 - Python tracker which has probably impact on bloodhound.py. I checked with python 2.7 on Kali and it works.

How do you switch over or manually use Python 2.7 with blood-hound?
Tried the git clone, then installing with pip3 install ., it downgraded to bloodhound 1.0.4 from 1.0.5
Try to run after using python2 and it reports no module named ldap3
Try to install (pip3 install ldap3) and it reports ‘requirements already satisfied’

As a workaround, python3.7 does work with bloodhound.
To change the default python version (current Kali build comes with 3.7 and 3.8) run the following commands (may require sudo/su):

rm /usr/bin/python3

ln -s /usr/bin/python3.7 /usr/bin/python3

this deletes the symbolic link to python3.8 and defaults any call to python3 to using python3.7

actually > @DemiScuzz said:

Type your comment> @Ja4V8s28Ck said:

So speaking of Bloodhound it’s just a domain mapping tool, and sharphound is the tool to collect information when running in the victim’s machine to map the domain as this is complex for beginners to use, ppl made a new ingestor which is in python which will run the attacker machine itself to collect the mapping data, but when i was doing pathfinder, i tried the python bloodhound but it dint work(the json were created but couldnt map it), so i went old school
When you say you went old school; what did you do?
I am having no luck with Bloodhound, fresh install of kali and getting “Missing required parameter ‘digestmod’”

what I did was using the original bloodhound version, which uses sharphound.ps1 or sharphound.ps2

The Python Dint actually worked for me, if u checkout the python version of bloodhound, it said , bloodhound.py is not stable for Kerberos

Type your comment> @phr0zengh0st said:

Would love to see a walk-through of this box WITHOUT using bloodhound…

You can technically avoid bloodhound and complete the box, but it is just a trial or error method as there are only 3 users, where one is administrator, so trying to dump pass using either of the user will give u dumb, but think of a real-world scenario , there would be more than 20 people connected to domain, u cant brute-force dumping pass on them , thats why bloodhound makes life easier

I didn’t use bloodhound at all in my video walkthrough (in fact I’ve never used it) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8_kSLrYXNE

@Ja4V8s28Ck said:
You can technically avoid bloodhound and complete the box, but it is just a trial or error method as there are only 3 users, where one is administrator, so trying to dump pass using either of the user will give u dumb, but think of a real-world scenario , there would be more than 20 people connected to domain, u cant brute-force dumping pass on them , thats why bloodhound makes life easier

That’s not true at all. You can very easily see which users are a member of which groups with a simple LDAP query, and can see which users/groups have DC sync permissions by just using the built in DSACLS command. There’s no trial and error (or brute force / guessing) involved in this machine, regardless of how many user accounts there were.

Type your comment> @VbScrub said:

I didn’t use bloodhound at all in my video walkthrough (in fact I’ve never used it) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8_kSLrYXNE

Oops, I am so sorry, I dont know abt LDAP querying

There’s this issue in the Bloodhound.py repository. The issue is due to the ldap3 incompatible with python3.8. It seems python3-ldap is of lower version than pip’s.

tldr; (assuming you’re using python 3.8)

sudo apt remove python3-ldap 
sudo pip3 install ldap3
    raise TypeError("Missing required parameter 'digestmod'.")
TypeError: Missing required parameter 'digestmod'.

This resolves the issue above, but it’ll still give a warning, seems like some info couldn’t be extracted due to that digestmod.

e.g.

❯ bloodhound-python -d htb.local -u XXX -p XXX -gc forest.htb.local -c all -ns 10.10.10.161
INFO: Found AD domain: htb.local
INFO: Connecting to LDAP server: FOREST.htb.local
INFO: Found 1 domains
INFO: Found 1 domains in the forest
INFO: Found 2 computers
INFO: Connecting to LDAP server: FOREST.htb.local
WARNING: Could not resolve SID: S-1-5-21-3072663084-364016917-1341370565-1153
INFO: Found 31 users
INFO: Found 75 groups
INFO: Found 0 trusts
INFO: Starting computer enumeration with 10 workers
INFO: Querying computer: EXCH01.htb.local
INFO: Querying computer: FOREST.htb.local
WARNING: DCE/RPC connection failed: Missing required parameter 'digestmod'.
INFO: Done in 00M 42S

For future info, you can avoid these incompatibility issues with python if you use virtualenv for each project/tools.

Type your comment> @NeoCortex2000 said:

I was getting that digestmod error as well. I can’t really help you with fixing it other than to deploy a whole new VM and build of Kali. I have about 6 or 7 versions of python installed and something is screwed in the python config. Sometimes other python apps have issues as well.

Im left marginally frustrated with this as I want one machine (my laptop) to be able to do everything I need.

If you fix it please do share the solution as I am faced with rebuilding the laptop if a solution doesn’t come along.

Have you tried upgrading the required packages (impacket, ldap3, dnspython) ? I got this digestmod error and after the upgrade I got the cannot import name 'PyAsn1UnicodeDecodeError' from 'pyasn1.error'. Then I googled this error and I just had to upgrade pyasn1 and now Bloodhound works. Sometimes the pre-installed packages in ISO or Kali VM are a little bit outdated (I hope its the right word, Native french sorry). You just need to upgrade them, that’s why when you uninstall and reinstall them, you’re installing the lastest version of all the packages . Hope my post will be useful for someone. Good luck !

Hello, I have also an issue with the bloodhound part.

I use the following command which works:
kali@kali:~/Downloads/blood_attack$ python3 -m bloodhound -d megacorp.local -u sandra -p “Password1234!” -gc pathfinder.megacorp.local -c all -ns 10.10.10.30
INFO: Found AD domain: megacorp.local
INFO: Connecting to LDAP server: Pathfinder.MEGACORP.LOCAL
INFO: Found 1 domains
INFO: Found 1 domains in the forest
INFO: Found 1 computers
INFO: Connecting to LDAP server: Pathfinder.MEGACORP.LOCAL
INFO: Found 5 users
INFO: Connecting to GC LDAP server: pathfinder.megacorp.local
INFO: Found 51 groups
INFO: Found 0 trusts
INFO: Starting computer enumeration with 10 workers
INFO: Querying computer: Pathfinder.MEGACORP.LOCAL
INFO: Done in 00M 05S

But when i drag & drop json files in bloodhound i have always:
NO DATA RETURNED FROM QUERY

I use bloodhound 3.0.4 on a kali debian 2020.2
Python 3.8.3 and neo4j 4.1.0

I don’t see any link between nodes and the only query working is “List all Kerberoastable Accounts”.

Do you know what is wrong ?

Thanks !

Does the Database Info show information for Users-Computers-Groups and so on?

Yes but I can’t perform any request