OpenAdmin

Ahha! Eureka moment. I’m in as user 1 and I think I found what I need to get user 2. Thanks alot!

@5uP3Rn0v4 said:

Ahha! Eureka moment. I’m in as user 1 and I think I found what I need to get user 2.
Thanks alot!

Nice work.

Stuck again. Going for user 2, used john to help and got a pass but its saying incorrect password. Can I get a nudge please?

Edit
Figured it out, now to shoot for root!

Edit 2
Rooted! Finally figured out how to get the f*** out of user 2 shell.

id
uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root)
whoami
root

Great machine - kudos to the maker!

For hints, I would say initial access is very simple, and then you just need to think lazy admin for the rest of the multi-step process.

Great Machine! It was fun cracking it. But I didn’t get all the points. I submitted both the root and user flag but was unable to get full points. Does anyone know, why is it so?

I’m stuck, can’t find the priv esc I need way from www to user, can I have a nudge? Maybe DM so I can talk about what I tried?

Rooted
For those who had an issue with John not working, I tried loading the ‘file’ in johnny (after doing *2john) and displayed what you’re looking for.

Rooted PM for hints

Type your comment> @H0ru5 said:

I’m stuck, can’t find the priv esc I need way from www to user, can I have a nudge? Maybe DM so I can talk about what I tried?

ENUMERATE… you will definitely find something

if anyone can give me a nudge for root, that wud be much appreciated… :slight_smile:

Type your comment> @thescriptkiddy said:

if anyone can give me a nudge for root, that wud be much appreciated… :slight_smile:

To quote yourself :slight_smile: ENUMERATE… and especially check what inventory of tools User1 and User2 has access to. Most tools can be used in more than one way :slight_smile:

Fell free to PM if you want more hint.

Can anyone give me a little help? I discovered my weakness is enumeration because I’m stuck with www data

Type your comment> @H0ru5 said:

Can anyone give me a little help? I discovered my weakness is enumeration because I’m stuck with www data

To get around in a Linux system you need a username and some sort of credentials. See if you can find potential usernames.

If you have found anything remotely interesting, have you tried to utilize it in some way? See if you can find credentials.

You only need ‘cat’ and ‘ls’ command at this stage. Until you find some username and credentials, then you need an additional tool to test your findings.

My first root own. I had a lot of help from all the comments scattered throughout but learned a lot that will be useful elsewhere :slight_smile: Initial foothold, user1 and root were easy enough; user 2 was the challenge but once I started looking in the right place it got easier.

Rooted !
DM if you stuck

Type your comment> @GreyHat86 said:

Can someone give me a nudge? found a possible R** for ON***N. just want to check i’m not off down a rabbit hole.

you are going right!

Rooted earlier today. msf failed me on this one, but was a fun journey. DM if hint is needed :slight_smile:

Just rooted, let me be clear here with some stuff:
0. Dont overthink, it is as easy machine

1. Foothold should be a fast enum + google
  2. Getting the first user should be fast, all you need is cat, ls and knowing people use the same password for everything like in real world
  3. More cat and ls in different places and I found what I needed, got second user
  4. Getting root was ridiculous ctf like, piece of cake, go to the basics

Root it.

any nudge pm me :slight_smile:

Any nudge on what to enumerate for root?